Rehydration- What do you use?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Obviously with the weather as it currently is, drinking plenty is essential, but after a ride yesterday, I thought I'd ask what other people use.

I tend to take a 500ml non carbohydrate tablet type drink for short rides (under two hours), but on longer, or hotter rides, I will take a 750ml bottle or two with either Torq or Bike Food drinks, as I like the taste of both.

However, I know I am not alone in suffering, after the ride, from all that carbohydrate, sometimes in the form of pretty impressive 'wind' :oops: and sometimes in other ways that we really don't go into. :facepalm:

I don't tend to get the gummy throat that other riders (including pro's) complain about, but I know that is another side effect of carb type drinks.

Plain water or squash is OK for short rides, but for longer rides, or in these hot conditions, it is not effective as it dilutes the remaining salts in the body, so, what do you use?

Short rides I tend to just have squash, longer rides Bikefood powder but half the strength the packet says, it's just too sickly and sweet otherwise. I tend to munch racing biscuits (fig rolls) or malt loaf during stops and graze on wine gums whilst riding.

I bought a bulk bag of maltodextrin and have a couple of tablespoons of it with a small pinch of salt in a 750ml bottle of squash. Works a treat on hot rides - the maltodextrin is basically a polymer of glucose molecules in a chain but doesn't taste of anything.

GuyWood":2761dpep said:
I bought a bulk bag of maltodextrin and have a couple of tablespoons of it with a small pinch of salt in a 750ml bottle of squash. Works a treat on hot rides - the maltodextrin is basically a polymer of glucose molecules in a chain but doesn't taste of anything.

I think I have some of that here, a leftover from my roadie son's experiments before he settled on Gatorade products.

I also like the idea of watered down Bikefood drinks, as they are a little overpowering. :shock:

Just water for me and maybe some fruit, an apple or a banana to eat on longer rides.

rosstheboss":gf374yjc said:
High 5 Zero for me, works a treat...

Those are the tabs I use for 500ml drinks, both the carb and the no carb caffine. :shock:

How do you find them for longer rides? (3 to 4 hours plus).

Back