Things wot hurt.

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
Slipping and scraping your finger across the nice sharp teeth of a chainring. Had those few seconds when you think that was lucky its not too bad before the blood flowed and pain started. At least its not on the knuckle so won't be opening up every few minutes. This maintenance stuff isn't all its cracked up to be.

My hubby did that, took ages to heal, keep it well cleaned and disinfected, he got a shard of the old, very old, shed in his foot and ended up on two very strong antibiotics for two weeks, so be very careful :D

Alison

Kerplunk":2znkpga7 said:
Slipping and scraping your finger across the nice sharp teeth of a chainring. Had those few seconds when you think that was lucky its not too bad before the blood flowed and pain started. At least its not on the knuckle so won't be opening up every few minutes. This maintenance stuff isn't all its cracked up to be.

Dropping a chainset directly on to your big toe - and waiting that eternity while your nervous system sends the signal to your brain...

Following on from the above, I hit myself with a spanner at work. It hurt a bit, cut my knuckle and then I didn't think much more of it.

Knuckle healed, but stayed stiff.

A couple of weeks later it swelled and pussed. I took a picture and then popped it. It started to swell again so I went to A&E.

They x rayed it, found a metal splinter in the joint and then removed it under general anaesthetic !

WD :D

WD Pro":5kaakqh8 said:
Following on from the above, I hit myself with a spanner at work. It hurt a bit, cut my knuckle and then I didn't think much more of it.

Knuckle healed, but stayed stiff.

A couple of weeks later it swelled and pussed. I took a picture and then popped it. It started to swell again so I went to A&E.

They x rayed it, found a metal splinter in the joint and then removed it under general anaesthetic !

GA, that seams over the top for a knuckle, 'struth, I've had op's under local and 69 stitches :shock: I guess it depends on the confidence of your doc.

Alison

That's what I thought !

I walked to hospital with no spare clothes or anything. They gave me two gowns (one forwards and one backwards) and a nurse gave me a asda bag from her lunch so I could carry my clothes in it :LOL:

The only thing I am left with as evidence is two small parallel scars on my knuckle about 10mm long and 10mm apart !

My first and only GA to date !

I think it depends on the most important doc at the time, I've been under GA for small things and been local for larger things, I think it depends on confidence, even my GP has performed minor surgery, proclaiming when sat on a stool, "I feel like a real surgeon" :shock: I think she had had ambitions before becoming a GP.

Alison

I've yet to meet anyone who will allow me to relate in full how my (heavily infected) toenail was removed under local. I do get a perverse pleasure watching their face slowly lose colour until they shout angrily at me to shut up.

Back O/T, most painful for me was probably breaking my foot on 3 seperate occasions, in exactly the same bone and in the same way. First 2 occasions were coming down stairs, my foot slipped over the step sideways and I landed on my ankle. Thought they were bad sprains, hospital didn't x-ray it on either occasion. Last time, I did the same thing jumping off a 4-foot wall - when it was finally x-rayed they discovered 2 floaters, and some weird lumps where the bone had healed before. 6 weeks in plaster, and even now (2 years later) I have days when it really doesn't want to be used. That was the only time since puberty when I actually thought I was going to weep from the pain, as it turned out I was too busy trying not to hyperventilate.

Back