Do you use a torque wrench?

xerxes

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
To date I've never used one for bicycles and the one I have for cars and motorcycles is too high range to be any good.

20 years ago components never had any torque settings on them, but I notice that quite a few parts do now. I'm not ham fisted and I haven't stripped any threads to date, but the face plates on a couple of my stems have a tendency to come lose; I think this is because the bolts are arranged in a square and it's difficult to tighten them all equally by hand. There are a few lower priced torque wrenches available, so I wondered if I should get one.

Any thoughts on these?:

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/topea ... h-set.html

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k474/a ... -bits.html

I've got two which covers everything from the bike to the motorbike to the car.
Its just that as bike components get lighter I think the torque setting get more critical.
Both of mines are from the Halford Pro range and they work fine.

Both of mines are from the Halford Pro range and they work fine.

Me too although they're mainly for car use. I did use the lower range one to put an Octalink crank back on the other day though :).

My hands are Torque wrenches :D
I've never snapped a bolt on anything, ever, and i've also never had anything loosen and fall off ;)

Never used on and never had any problems with loose bolts. On four bolt stems just tighten opposite corners with even tension.

I would like a torque wrench though, and will buy one some day.

Only on my car & automatic barriers (I also have a Halfords one)...

Also never rounded a nut/bolt head on a bike and never had anything come loose using just hands and allen keys/adjustable spanner (and relevant tools for the bits that need them like BBs, cassettes & center-lock brake disks etc).

had no formal engineering training, but to me makes sense when bolting down something like an engine cylinder head where need to make allowances for getting hot and expansion, but for a bike, think by feel is more than adequate ?

Back