Petrol Mowers

jimplops

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When we moved to the new house, my dad gave me his old petrol mower, it's a B&Q rotary with a briggs and Stratton engine, anyway was a bit of a pig to start the first time as dad hadn't used it for 18months, so fresh fuel and a new plug and all was ok, anyway it's developed a miss fire, cleaned air filter and plug and no better, anyone have much knowledge of briggs and Stratton motors?

Cheers

Jim

What chopper said :D .....I've got a spare one with about 30 mins use in the shed. If you want to pay the postage you can have it.

Certainly are, but it takes two minutes to renew the lead and check the plug is tight.

My experience is that mowers tend to get cracked leads easily due to storage over winter in cold sheds, etc. and a loose plug is commonly the cause of a misfire. Might save some time.

Is there a fuel filter? - if so that's another place to check (could be clogged).

I'd be inclined to agree with other posters though, sounds like the HT lead is probably knackered (or the points if it has them?).

Basically the same as said above, but which enigine is it? chances are it's one of two types,
1) carb mounted direct on to fuel tank, held on with 5 screws, clean the carb and rinse the tank through plus there's a diaphragm between the carb and tank, if it's still running rough that will need replacing.

2) carb mounted separate to tank with 2 10mm nuts behind the air filter, slightly more carb'ish type carb that'll need more cleaning but no diaphragms to go wrong.

Cheers, for the pointers, off the top of my head its got the carb mounted on the tank. Will look at the lead, and also get a decent plug instead of the B&Q no name.

Back