crete road or mtb?

sportbilly

Old School Hero
We are off on our family holiday latest this month and I have already booked space on the plane for a bike. Permission has been granted from the prettier side of the family!!

I just don't known whether to take the road bike or the MTB? I will be riding on my own, sowont be doing any hat score offroading, just dirt tracks if I am on the MTB. The roads look good with some nice hairpins on Google earth, so the dilemma is which bike to take???

I am just seeing if anyone has ridden in Crete before or been on holds there and has some advice as I have never been to Crete before. Any advice gratefully received.

Ta

Depends where you're going and what ya wanna do :D

They have good roads so you could take the tarmac bike, but there are also crap roads and plenty unsurfaced ones.

If i was taking a bike it would be a Cinder Cone with 1.9 puncture proof slicks I reckon.

The ouzo is fine but give the local sherry a miss :facepalm:

Never done it but have to agree with Mr Panda. A mountain bike with puncture proof touring type tyres sounds like a good bet. I run Continental Travelcontacts on my, mainly road based, MTB. They roll very well and claim to be largely puncture proof :). They also have great side knobbies for a bit of off-roading.

Don't know about Crete - but I've been to Greece (Lefkhada and Patras) and cycled a couple of times.

Nice and light hardtail MTB would give you more options.

I'd take a mountain bike over a road bike any day. A hard tail with some fast rolling tyres like Michelin Dry2 or Nobby Nics.
Run them tubeless as otherwise you'll spend more time fixing punctures than riding.
Where in Crete will you be based?

we stayed in Elounda for our honeymoon, and took a day trip onto the plateau, which is on the inside of the island, much much quieter than the coast and some amazing scenery. I would err on the side of the roadbike, I'm not sure how many mtb trails there are, but there are some lovely quiet roads.

And it will be hot, damn hot, hotter than a snakes ass in a wagon rut. There is a wind that comes off Africa and it can be like standing in a hairdryer - I remember one evening I had baklava and ice cream for pudding, by the time I had eaten the baklava, the ice cream was entirely liquid!

Never been but based on Greek road's in general a mountain bike would be my choice.

I've taken the Fondriest and enjoyed myself but then I saw some german dudes on MTBs and was jealous. Hope that helps!

P.S. Get out early-it's chuffing hot.

we went to Mallorca at the beging of the year and there were roadies everywhere and also lots of bike hire shops that were reasonably priced, it seemed like the area was more suited to roadies so they had a lot of nice road bikes. the mtb though looked a bit on the budget side, a bit heavy and clunky. mabey have a look online and see if theres a hire place and what type of bikes they have, you could always take one and hire the other :)

Latest posts

Back