Whats the point of a landline...

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
...when all you get is with-held numbers and blank calls?

And dont get me started on the Telephone Preference Service!

legrandefromage":11ewdjoz said:

I know the feeling all to bloomin well, I'm a housewife and I get them all day running up and down to answer the call only to find a dead line or an automated message Grrr!! now twice a day Warranty Direct are cold calling my bloomin mobile despite telling them where to get off in no uncertain terms :twisted:

Alison

legrandefromage":1a4mpcs2 said:

That's what answer-phones and call screening are made for.

Anybody with something important, you'll recognise the number, or they'll leave a message, or they'd probably have your mobile number.

There's plenty of landline calls I don't answer.

Rarely use it other than for older family. Does run my ethernet and wifi though.

Those blank calls are dialler calls probably. Sales centres use diallers to cycle through hundreds of random numbers until one or more connect - they talk to whichever number it connects to first, and then it drops the other connections. Problem is, some get through and then drop when you pick up. Very annoying!

Also the Telephone Preference Service is not really that good, because companies get round it by saying that they randomly generate the phone numbers. The TPS only prevents your numbers specifically being sold on or used. A daft loophole but there it is.

Oh and I live in the sticks so have a rubbish mobile signal...hence the need for a landline!

Tom79":62u5qwht said:
Those blank calls are dialler calls probably. Sales centres use diallers to cycle through hundreds of random numbers until one or more connect - they talk to whichever number it connects to first, and then it drops the other connections. Problem is, some get through and then drop when you pick up. Very annoying!

Also the Telephone Preference Service is not really that good, because companies get round it by saying that they randomly generate the phone numbers. The TPS only prevents your numbers specifically being sold on or used. A daft loophole but there it is.

Oh and I live in the sticks so have a rubbish mobile signal...hence the need for a landline!

I live out in the country and have rubbish mobile connection, the odd thing is we are all on Orange and my daughter gets OK reception my oldest son gets great connection but practically all the time I have none, I just don't get it :roll:

Alison

Isaac_AG":2lijiv7o said:
I live out in the country and have rubbish mobile connection, the odd thing is we are all on Orange and my daughter gets OK reception my oldest son gets great connection but practically all the time I have none, I just don't get it :roll:

Alison

Different handsets can vary in how well they maintain reception.

legrandefromage":2aco4t7b said:

When you live somewhere which has zero mobile reception. :(

Ditto.

Plenty of my family/friends have poor mobile coverage, or live very, very far away in places much cheaper to call via land line.

Plenty of life left in land lines I reckon.

As far as 'nuisance' callers go, we get plenty of them despite registering with the TPS and being ex directory.

Latest was from some chap telling us problems were found on our computer.

"My gosh, is there any way I could pay you to fix it? Do you want my bank details?"

Poor chap didn't have the answer so early into his script.

Back