Embarrassing children

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Yesterday I was at the secondary school with my 11 year old daughter and my 8 year old son queuing for school uniform when my son said "What is he called when a man wants to wear women's clothes", quietly I said "They are transvestites" he responded with "I've seen a transvestite" I said "have you" and he turned round and pointed to the 11 year old girl behind us. I admit she did have a boyish face but 'struth she must have felt so bad, I quickly turned him round and shut him up but he couldn't understand what he had said that was wrong :oops:

Alison

Few years back this, queing for something in boots when the eldest (about 4 at the time) pointed to the cashier and asked "whys that lady got a beard?" just as we get to the front of the line.

...............if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ! seems to be working with our daughter who saves the comments for later

mmm, could be a rule for the forum as well ?

but please tell me it didn't originally come from Disney ?

When she was about five, I was shopping with my daughter in Sainsburys when we saw a proper dwarf. To me he looked like any other dad struggling with his own kids whilst shopping. The only thing was his young children were taller than him. Hayley was immediately transfixed. I could see an embarrassing question forming in her head so I diverted her and towed her off to the one place I thought we wouldn't meet the chap head on namely, the adults clothing area!

Unfortunately, he was obviously getting something for his wife of something because as we rounded the aisle, there he was.

My daughter pointed and said in the loud, clear tone known to many embarrassed parents, "Dad, is that a gnome?"

D'oh!

Iwasgoodonce":15v5xem6 said:
My daughter pointed and said in the loud, clear tone known to many embarrassed parents, "Dad, is that a gnome?"

following on from the thread re Top Gear, has she thought of being a TV presenter ?

Iwasgoodonce":3a1fx86q said:
When she was about five, I was shopping with my daughter in Sainsburys when we saw a proper dwarf. To me he looked like any other dad struggling with his own kids whilst shopping. The only thing was his young children were taller than him. Hayley was immediately transfixed. I could see an embarrassing question forming in her head so I diverted her and towed her off to the one place I thought we wouldn't meet the chap head on namely, the adults clothing area!

Unfortunately, he was obviously getting something for his wife of something because as we rounded the aisle, there he was.

D'oh!

Haha that reminds me of my 4 year old nephew. We were in the supermarket and he started laughing at this guy who was a dwarf. He started asking me why he was so small and I had to try and explain that he was a fully grown man. Ever since, he has been telling everyone that he saw a fully grown man in the supermarket. His Mum had no idea what he was talking about until they saw the same guy in the same supermarket a couple of weeks later and at the top of his voice he pointed and shouted "look Mummy, a fully grown man!".

Lolz.

Many years ago out in sainsburys with my pre school twins and decide to get tea in the cafe. A few places in behind us in the queue is a large badly made up obvious gentleman but clearly comfortable in full female attire. My two are very interested but say nothing at this point. We sit and begin to eat. He unfortunately sits nearby and in my son's eyeline. We continue to eat as I watch the cogs turn, waiting...

Then loudly, "Daddy, why is that man in a dress?" The man and and I make eye contact, I make a small wave and look contrite. He raises his hand with a wry smile.

The History Man":2ki6ip7t said:
Many years ago out in sainsburys with my pre school twins and decide to get tea in the cafe. A few places in behind us in the queue is a large badly made up obvious gentleman but clearly comfortable in full female attire. My two are very interested but say nothing at this point. We sit and begin to eat. He unfortunately sits nearby and in my son's eyeline. We continue to eat as I watch the cogs turn, waiting...

Then loudly, "Daddy, why is that man in a dress?" The man and and I make eye contact, I make a small wave and look contrite. He raises his hand with a wry smile.

I could feel for the girl my son pointed at because I was a tomboy as a kid and always had my hair short and would not get the girl NHS specs as in the 70's they were BAD!! so had the boys. One day after school, not being allowed at school to wear trousers, a couple of old women in M&S said loudly as I went past, "What kind of mother allows their son to wear girls clothing" :facepalm: I just ignored them but it did hurt a bit though :(

Alison

Some years back, I worked with somebody who then had a son (I want to think he was around 5 at the time of this) and he recounted this tale of when they were shopping somewhere, and in a lift fully of people. Think the kid was acting up a bit, and his dad must have told him off, and the kid said something like "Dad, you won't start beating me again, will you?" I think this was his first encounter of his son saying something mischievous and for the ears of others!

Back