Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:44 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:28 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

jonnyboy666 wrote:
i was told that as soon as i got a job i would have to start paying rent at home and it was expected that once out of education i had to make an effort to get a job, and if the job i wanted wasn't available i had to find anything.

Before he got his job now he did try to get anything after leaving school, he did have a job at a bakery but they kept laying him off when they weren't as busy so most of the time he was skint and hating it 'cus his friends were all at Uni and receiving money, we were paying for him and his gym membership, because he panicked that if he didn't go 3/4 times a week he'd never get into marine training, if I couldn't take him for any reason I'd get "So you don't want me to be a Marine then" 'struth :roll: I just put that down to his age. He's now been a fully fledged Marine since December and is loving the financial freedom he has, and that he is now better off than his student friends. I'd feel bad charging him now.

Alison

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

I started giving my mum money when I was working part time, whilst at sixth form - obviously that ebbed and flowed, because there would be periods when I didn't work (it was seasonal). As soon as I started working full time (at 18) I paid the going rate for board. At 20 I moved out to buy my own house.

My parents didn't demand it, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:09 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
My friends charge their daughter rent but, unbeknownst to her, they save it all in a specific savings account for her and when it's time for her to move out they are planning to give it all back to her to put down as a deposit on a place of her own.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:36 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Chopper1192 wrote:
Yes, though somewhere between a token amount and full market rate.

Absolutely correct, they need to learn about the "cost of living". In their early working years a lot of kids grow up oblivious to the fact due to parents who cocoon them to much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:38 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Neil wrote:
I started giving my mum money when I was working part time, whilst at sixth form - obviously that ebbed and flowed, because there would be periods when I didn't work (it was seasonal). As soon as I started working full time (at 18) I paid the going rate for board. At 20 I moved out to buy my own house.

My parents didn't demand it, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Respect to you sir :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

jonnyboy666 wrote:
i was told that as soon as i got a job i would have to start paying rent at home and it was expected that once out of education i had to make an effort to get a job, and if the job i wanted wasn't available i had to find anything.

Same for me.
Winds me up a bit that my parents have basically funded my younger sisters life...all 36 years of it!
Bloody sexist :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:56 pm 
Retro Guru

I said to my eldest "18, and you're out the door".

I was only joking, but she took me seriously and joined the RAF at 18.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Would I charge my child, no because if still a child where should they be living, but an adult family member ? If over 18 then why wouldn't they pay towards their living costs, a family all has to contribute money and / or effort, even our 5 year old helps out a little bit where possible.

I left home at 17 and lived in a flat on my own, I managed to survive but I had money coming in as a result of a court order as a part of my parents' divorce, not much but enough with bit of work on top and "food parcels" from friends' parents. When I reached 18 my father sat me down and said I was on my own (which was ironic as he had left several years before and had not wanted joint custody), I think there is a huge difference between throwing them out to fend for themselves, making them contribute and them never leaving the free hotel - why would they ? What message are you sending and what are they learning from all this ?

Put it another way, parents may want to live in a smaller house, kids staying at home stops this happening. If people are in a financial position to give money to their kids for an extra 5 to 10 years then great but I don't think kids should expect it. It has to be part of growing up and taking responsibility for where you live and paying for it is part of that, so yes in my view they should pay an appropriate amount for board and lodging which should be "market value" with adjustment for circumstances and what they can afford.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:09 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Im seeing a lot of sense written on this thread which makes a change from the usual bollocks :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Would you let them off the rent if they wear a cycle helmet in the house?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next