Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:35 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I had to give up on a club ride yesterday and walk three miles to a station because of a puncture and the tyre was too tight to come off the rim. In the end, even in my workshop, the only way I could get it off was with two levers, one anchored on a spoke and a steel Z2 steerer over the other and taking a hammer to the steerer for a couple of minutes. Usually it's easier to get the second bead off, but in this case I had to do the same using the hammer again.

This is obviously ridiculous, but I have had something similar before, that time with a Conti tyre. This time it was a Rocket Ron Evo 2.1 in a X517 rim - I was able to replace it in the end with a Nobby Nic Evo 2.1 just using my fingers, so it can't be anything about Schwalbes per se. Presumably tyres are made very tight anyway nowadays (to be better for running with sealant maybe?), so any production variations can send you into impossible territory.

I have to admit that I had to use a lever to get the tyre on in the first place, so I should have made sure it was possible to take it off again before I put it back on the bike. You live and learn even at my age, so I won't use a tyre that needs a lever to fit it ever again. Needless to say, Sod's Law rules and having had no punctures all year, I had one within ten miles of fitting this tyre!

I just wondered whether anybody has had a similar experience with modern tyres, or any hints at how to get them off other than in the obvious way? Also is there anything I can do to the tyre to make it usable or is it a write-off?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:48 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Take a little packet/bottle of liquid soap/washing up liquid with you like you get in hotels. Just enough to do the job. As with a lot of things in life, A little lube makes it so much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Never had a problem, but I'm always careful to full break both beads before removal. Hell, it went on ok, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:13 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I am confused as to why you did not have 3 levers out with you. I have had difficulties with two makes of tyre on Wolber rims - and i have used both tyres on other rims with absolutely no problem so i think the rim is the issue. I have read that Contis are tight, so a combination of a tight tyre and a difficult rim would be the worst case scenario.

I read about a tool - some form of tyre lever which is excellent but, typically, i cannot remember what it was called - perhaps someone else will be able to enlighten you.

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:31 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I have Conti slicks (1.3 sport contacts) that are a right palaver to get on and off. I recall there being a bit of a consensus that Conti's were a bit tighter than most... :?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Did you squeeze the bead into the centre of the rim where the diameter is smaller?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 pm 
Old School Grand Master

conti's used to be tight on some rims.......

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:05 pm 

Is the Rocket Ron a tubeless compatible tyre?

I have heard a few people mention that tubeless tyres have been a pain to remove, although cannot speak from experience as I don't currently use them / don't know what the beads are like.

I do know I have a set of RR's on a set of crossride wheels, and if my son eventually gets back on his bicycle (and punctures) I will be taking 3 levers with this in mind!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

I can confirm Conti tyres are a pain to get either on or off. You should never have to break out into a sweat and end up with aching forearms changing a tyre.

They are the only tyres I ever changed where I was thankful for the hooks on the end of Park levers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:58 pm 
Retro Guru

JamesM wrote:
Did you squeeze the bead into the centre of the rim where the diameter is smaller?

My thought exactly. I was taught a variation of this technique and it's served me well over the years. Granted it is getting a tyre on, works equally well in reverse though.

Enjoy, and hope it helps.