Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:49 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Dammit man. I find myself in complete agreement!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Clarkson's VC documentary gets shown in my classroom. May doing the Toy Stories was great. Hammond doing Total Wipeout is............. OK I'll stop there.Top Gear is getting a little tired and predictable with the laugh count falling. Will still be watching though.

The Clarkson Europe series was funny too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:43 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Isaac_AG wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:
Top Gear is a bunch of old darts talking bollocks aimed at the sort of young man who'd buy a Fester ST, or the slightly older gentleman who thinks it's cool to wear a Subaru rally jacket to the pub. Not remotely interesting or funny

Well I like Top Gear, I've been watching it since the 70's and am none of the things you describe, I love the irreverent humour and I guess I've just been there for so long :roll: I kinda like Man Lab too I also guess I'm just not your average woman :D

Alison

I used to like it loads - the latent teenage lad in me used to revel in the daftness.

But once Clarkson, and The Help, decided that they'd try and be edgy, controversial comics for pay, I could start to see the wires, and it became a parody of what it once was.

Most of the time, I suspect they don't believe a word of the bollocks they spout, but they do it to appeal to - and by Clarkson's own admittal - their demograph, of "apes". It's the worst kind of supposed edgy humour - just a bit over the line to draw a sharp intake of breath, but not enough for them to court any real trouble with those with teeth who would truly bite back, and give them something to consider beyond mumbling, bumbiling, insincere apologies.

It's not the daftness, the juvenile thing, or the lack of realism that bothers me - in fact I can understand people enjoying it for just those very things - it's the realisation that in order to retain the audience they've now cultivated, they've got to extend the scatological-esque humour further and further, so they've become like patomime villains, all they're missing out on, now, is dressing up as women - but mark my words, it's bound to come.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

highlandsflyer wrote:
I like James May's other activities. Clarkson makes a strong argument as a presenter when he is less self consciously aping the comedian he never was. He has made one or two interesting programmes as I recall.

That's the thing - on their own, or on certain subjects, most of them can make some interesting TV.

Put 'em all on Top Gear, and they're like teenagers trying to be funny and out-there - it's all just a bit to pretend bravado, now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Neil wrote:
all they're missing out on, now, is dressing up as women

Hammond, post trauma, seemed to adopt a rather androgynous style. Seems he has fully recovered now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 pm 
Retro Guru

where's tiff when you need him?

i know he's on the other side....so don't answer!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

highlandsflyer wrote:
Neil wrote:

Hammond, post trauma, seemed to adopt a rather androgynous style. Seems he has fully recovered now.

I know I really shouldn't laugh - but the antidote to their arrogance, is Frankie Boyle's joke about The Hamster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Clarkson actually posted on twitter that the rest of the series is better and he felt that the 1st one was quite a weak episode.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:16 am 
Old School Grand Master

Neil wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:
Neil wrote:

I know I really shouldn't laugh - but the antidote to their arrogance, is Frankie Boyle's joke about The Hamster.

I love Stewart Lee on the Hamster.

:)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:46 am 
Retro Guru

He's not a real hamster.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next