Any car mechanics out there?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
The mrs has a ford fusion 1.4 duratec that she is slowly destroying :roll: it currently has a misfire and pulls the management light on. With holiday end of the month trying to avoid garage bill.

Changed the plugs before and coil and leads all not curing the issue.

I have rummaged around and notice with engine running and sharp rev a air noise like a leaking?

Also just noticed this I am guessing this is a sensor and should be connected to something? Basically bottom of gearbox there is two sensor attachments one has pipe on it the second looks like it should but don't

Any pointers be great?

(Will upload pic later of sensors)

Sounds like an air or vacuum leak. Hard to tell from the pic cos it's too close up, but it looks as if there may be a pipe missing from that stub.

There's definitely a pipe missing there, the end is clean. If you can't find the loose end flapping about go to a garage and "test drive" a similar model so you can see where the pipe is meant to lead.

Picture; it looks like the drainplug of the hydraulic clutch.

Can you post a picture of the ignision? I have no idea witch ignition is build on this type of engine.

Tut, tut, tut, what have you been doing with that? Those bevel flanges are knackered and your grivel widgets are totally shot, probably going to need a whole new "A" frame and a new set of gimpton followers. Be about 750 for parts alone, then there's your labour. :D

If the management light is on, the easiest way to proceed is to read the fault codes... you don't know anyone with a code reader? They're dirt cheap to buy these days anyway and while it won't necessarily tell you exactly what's wrong it can certainly point you in the right direction.

It's not as straightforward as code reading. Just fixed a Citroen for someone which was running lumpy and showing an MIL. Codes read P0100, MAF fault. Turns out to be a pipe wasn't sealing properly on the turbo and allowing boost to escape. New paperclip cleared the fault codes and stored trouble codes fixed.

You'll probably do only about 1 in 10 faults if you're relying on a code reader. You need to be able to interpret, for example, why a MAF I'd reading out of range, cos just slapping a new MAF on would've left me with a still nacked Shitruin and £80 lighter. Don't bother with one unless you can already fault find to component level, because it'll only tell you which sensor is reading out of range and nit what the actual problem is.

That's why I said it should point you in the right direction, not that it will tell you exactly what's wrong, for the reasons you state.

As there's apparently a misfire, checking the codes logged might help indicate whether it's mixture or ignition related for example... you can also normally check data like the long term fuel trims which can paint a picture of what's been going on over time - I certainly wouldn't recommend using the fault codes as a replacement part shopping list!

Back