My top tips, in this order
1. Pay someone else to do the packing. Our 4 bed house took 8 guys 2 days to pack up. They worked solid.
2. Ship early and go on holiday for as long as you can manage to reduce time spent without your stuff.
3. Throw stuff away. Be ruthless.
4. Sit down when they tell you how much it will cost to ship your pets.
5. Make sure the answer to the question "Where are the spare car keys?" is not "In one of (175) boxes" 10 minutes before someone comes round to buy your car.
Oh, final tip. Air freight can be cheaper than excess baggage for the necessities. Unless you discover you have 240kg baggage allowance courtesy of your frequent flyer royalty status; then you can just turn up with 17 bags and enjoy the look on the faces of the people at check in
Sound advice, I will be having the pro's do the packing as that's the easiest way to insure