Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:55 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:50 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 799
Location: Runcorn
Salsprocket wrote:
I've worn helmets for various sports & stuff for most of my life. As a motorcyclist, the law forced me to wear one and there are always rumours of plans to make motorcyclists wear specific types of clothing. However, one school of thought is that too much protection can give you a false sense of security.


I'd unquestionably wear a motorcycle helmet, because the statistics and engineering say that they work reasonably well - not much use in car impacts perhaps, but there are other dangerous motorcycling accidents. A seatbelt, even more so. But the engineering and statistics for cycling helmets say that, on the road, for non-sports cycling they are absolutely no use at all for adults. In fact, even their usefulness for children is higly questionable.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2784
Argue all you want, but for all those espousing the benefits of/trying to dispel the inherent safety of not wearing a helmet, either on the road or off road, then fill your boots. You are doing society a favour in saving the rest of us from your stupidity

End


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:09 am
Posts: 799
Location: Runcorn
unkleGsif wrote:
Argue all you want, but for all those espousing the benefits of/trying to dispel the inherent safety of not wearing a helmet, either on the road or off road, then fill your boots. You are doing society a favour in saving the rest of us from your stupidity

End


You have to ask why evidence that helmets don't work as well as people assume provoke reactions like this - ie ones devoid of rational argument and phrased in terms of utter hate. The obvious suspicion is that the person doing the reacting relies on his helmet as a security blanket and isn't interested in facts. So when people say stuff like "The guy who is the UK's main expert witness on helmets says that you're being a bit optimistic" the response is FEAR!!!! WAAAH! HATE YOU!!!

Very.. mature.

Adults otoh are always interested in facts. And if someone presents a claimed fact that they think isn't true, then they discuss it logically to say which party is mistaken. In fact, this is virtually the definition of being a functioning grown-up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:33 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm
Posts: 2784
You don't need to pm me your post, just to make your point even more :wink:


G


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:02 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Moving swiftly on from the latent sexual tension...

Anybody that thinks there's nothing to be gained by consideration of another, informed take on something, that they've previously considered a closed topic, simply by merit of their own preconceptions, is missing out.

I've read about the various arguments for and against helmets for years - and yes, informed debate has altered my view on it. From never wearing one, BITD, I'm much more inclined to do so, now - but all the same, there's a lot of sense and science in this subject that many dismiss without consideration, in some kind of "isn't it obvious" arrogance, without actual consideration as to what some experts have to say on the subject.

I also believe in personal freedom - if people are at liberty to smoke, and do other very harmful things, then outside of organised activities that may have insurance and liability based rules, I say let people make up their own mind - I'd like to think those minds are reasonably informed, mind - but then I'm all about personal freedom. Being a parent, though, has significantly changed my perspective on several things where risk is concerned.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:40 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 pm
Posts: 3798
Location: Staffordshire
Is there a lot of caffeine in tea?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:54 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Is there a lot of caffeine in tea?


Bravo, bravissimo...

I've seen, even partaken in some rather spurious connections or non sequiturs, and I flattered myself I had some chops in that department, but I have to say, you carried that off with some style.

As to the caffeine content of various beverages, well all the normal fair, is well, um, a bit normal, really. The Unix techies beverage of choice, from yesteryear (Jolt cola) pretty much had it nailed, and all these recent pretenders to the throne are all just manufactured wannabes.

But if stimulation is your thing, I understand China is finer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:48 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Wales
PurpleFrog wrote:
unkleGsif wrote:
Argue all you want, but for all those espousing the benefits of/trying to dispel the inherent safety of not wearing a helmet, either on the road or off road, then fill your boots. You are doing society a favour in saving the rest of us from your stupidity

End


You have to ask why evidence that helmets don't work as well as people assume provoke reactions like this - ie ones devoid of rational argument and phrased in terms of utter hate. The obvious suspicion is that the person doing the reacting relies on his helmet as a security blanket and isn't interested in facts. So when people say stuff like "The guy who is the UK's main expert witness on helmets says that you're being a bit optimistic" the response is FEAR!!!! WAAAH! HATE YOU!!!

Very.. mature.

Adults otoh are always interested in facts. And if someone presents a claimed fact that they think isn't true, then they discuss it logically to say which party is mistaken. In fact, this is virtually the definition of being a functioning grown-up.



As you are so keen to quote diatribe, which you have read meticulously, and obviously fully believe, I find it rather strange that you missed the fact that I stated that the polystyrene compressed by a good 10 to 20% in the lower rear left. This is at the point of impact. Don't be fooled into just reading and regurgitating the facts which suit your argument.

Whether you wish to wear a helmet is your own decision - I care not.

However, it is interesting that one professional area that continually states that they see a marked reduction in head injuries within the helmet wearing fraternity is A&E Doctors. I will take their advice rather that some "scientist" who may or may not have been lobbied by the pro or no wear groups.

I am a material scientist, and fully understand the relationship between stress/strain, rate of such stress and strain and the elastic, plastic and brittle failure of materials. This helmet compressed, thus it provided a degree of protection to my sons head.

You are correct that it probably didn't take all the force, and I admit to not having set up accelerometers, or monitors to allow me to prepare a thesis on this. Perhaps you will accept my apologies for not having filmed the accident to provide proof of the fact that his head hit the floor first.

That is what happened, and both he and I will continue to wear helmets whilst on and off road.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 2574
Location: The Cock Inn, Tillett, Herts
And it's not just the energy absorbing/dissipating properties of the foam that are intended to reduce injury. There's one other prime method by which bonce potties reduce injury. So simple it's often overlooked, so effective process that even correctly shaped lid made from steel with no lining has the potential to produce the same effect, so obvious that even the most rabid anti lid campaigner forgets about it - romantic dinner with The History Man for the first person to guess.

And yes, I wear lids. Had to start wearing them for work, where I realised all this business of people moaning about discomfort, ventilation, and even weight was an utter load of testicles. However, I'm anti compulsion - I have absolutely zero interest in what someone else does with their head, whether they wear a seat belt, or smoke in bed. Doesn't affect me, so flat don't care.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:07 am 
Old School Hero

Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:27 pm
Posts: 205
Another thing with helmets is that they make riding a bike appear dangerous,and something you have to look stupid to do.

This means less people ride bikes,making the roads more dangerous for those of us who do.


Thanks helmets.

Learning to ride a bike well saves your bonce.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mattr and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group