Tyre legality, Chopper?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I was wondering, our tyres in the main body are OK, but at the very edge, about an 1.5in is below the the 20p rim guide getting lower the closer to the edge it is. Is this illegal or OK?

Thanks

Alison

In my experience that's probably borderline - the law is 1.6mm over the central 3/4 of the width of the tread, without knowing the width of your tyres I can't say for absolutely sure if they are legal.

Get yourself a little depth gauge if you're concerned. There shed also be wear markers in the tread patterns?

Yes, if they are illegal.

I have been pleasantly surprised with Kwik Fit for being honest lately on the tread left on various cars I have taken in for free inspections.

My sole motivation has been to get underneath them for a good look, I don't currently have a pit or lift.

Legal is one thing, they way they handle and stop (or don't), especially in the wet, is far more important.

On your car, 1.6mm in a continuous band around the entire circumference of the tyre in the central 3/4 width, and visible tread elsewhere.

More to the point, a tyre is knackered at 3mm. It won't tread water beyond this point, and every quality tyre manufacturer, the police, RoSPA and the Institute of extremely Anal Maniacs all recommend they go in the bin at the point.

i believe in fixies":1o2mmkr3 said:
Legal is one thing, they way they handle and stop (or don't), especially in the wet, is far more important.
Damn right! and most manufacturers recommend 3mm minimum across the whole tyre or 4mm for winter tyres, but then they would , wouldn't they! :roll:

If you're driving to the conditions of the road and your vehicle, you should be able to stop in the distance you can see ahaed even if you've got 2mm of tread and it's pouring down.

And anyway it's far more fun with less tread!

Only Playing devil's advocate ! But still true

Back