Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:16 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:26 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Posts: 16963
Location: 54 Festive Road Winchcombe GLOUCS Yarp...
spoon angle increasing in direct relation to speed?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:32 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:16 pm
Posts: 8661
Yes and a rocking motion from side to side rolling the spoon edge outward at each extreme so that centrifugal force holds the egg in place. Clever stuff but hard to explain to a small child or your average harrassed parent/adult :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:56 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:02 pm
Posts: 113
Location: Wales, formaly of Scotland
Mini-me currently @ sports day - her indoors just texted to say he's doing "well" whatever that is!!!

C U nxt week Velo!! M.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:44 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 am
Posts: 799
Location: Camden, London
Neil wrote:
Whilst I get the point, in the examples I've seen, it's been more about the parents and what they want, than what they want for their kids.

sadly I think this is often the case, people didn't achieve everything they wanted and transfer that to the kids.


Russell wrote:
Anyone that believes it's about the taking part, has never won anything.

I'm sorry but I think that's __________, insert expletive at will.

If that were true why would you compete at something you couldn't win yet lots of people do it all the time.

If you win it does also rather depend at what level, as well as effort, training, determination etc, having competed against world championship medal winners, GB squad members and various other people who were quite good as well as at bad club level at various sports (albeit all a long time ago) I know what it's like to come in various places in the field.

My daughter, age 5, is not very athletic although she is improving based on results at sports day (this morning). The other week she did a 1km fun run at school (as her friends were doing it), and while was not setting the world alight (far from it in fact) I was very proud at her determination to do it and finish it, with determination more is possible and that I think is the important lesson for life not the fact that the ego gets a boost from coming first (unless the competition is at a very serious level.....).

Enough said, that's got that off my chest.


Last edited by daugs on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:46 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Posts: 16963
Location: 54 Festive Road Winchcombe GLOUCS Yarp...
It's all about intrinsic and extrinsic reward, gratification and pleasure. Most need a degree of both but when you get to my age and fitness.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:56 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:16 am
Posts: 799
Location: Camden, London
The History Man wrote:
.....................Most need a degree of both but when you get to my age and fitness.....


I was talking about this the other day with someone who in a former life rowed for University of London, and had beaten both Oxford and Cambridge as part of the warm up to the Boat Race, he's still rowing as a veteran in his 40s, and funnily enough he said against the same guys he competed against 25 years ago.........


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:33 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Highlands
Ah, school sports day... the only day in the year I'm happily allow my son to skive. PE should have been removed from the school day years ago to make room for more useful subjects.

I still despise every pathetic, semi-retarded, demoralising PE teacher I ever had - I was never fat or unhealthy, not clumsy... just not particularly "sporty" and was always able to see the stupidity of people getting so worked up about some silly ball game or pointlessly reaching the finish line a second quicker.

I never did understand why it was somehow acceptable for PE teachers to repeatedly, routinely humiliate particular pupils whose "abilities" were poor when teachers in any other subject would be up for disciplinary action if they did the same.

Fortunately there was never any crossover between PE and cycling so I never stopped enjoying getting out on the bike and staying reasonably fit (while plenty of the erstwhile PE stars turned to flab and clogged their lungs with tar!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:13 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6737
Location: North Yorkshire
ajm wrote:
Ah, school sports day... the only day in the year I'm happily allow my son to skive. PE should have been removed from the school day years ago to make room for more useful subjects.

I still despise every pathetic, semi-retarded, demoralising PE teacher I ever had - I was never fat or unhealthy, not clumsy... just not particularly "sporty" and was always able to see the stupidity of people getting so worked up about some silly ball game or pointlessly reaching the finish line a second quicker.

I never did understand why it was somehow acceptable for PE teachers to repeatedly, routinely humiliate particular pupils whose "abilities" were poor when teachers in any other subject would be up for disciplinary action if they did the same.

Fortunately there was never any crossover between PE and cycling so I never stopped enjoying getting out on the bike and staying reasonably fit (while plenty of the erstwhile PE stars turned to flab and clogged their lungs with tar!)


Well said :D

In my upper school, apart from physical humiliation on the field, she was as bad in the changing rooms, she got rid of PE skirts saying they were dangerous :roll: after PE everyone had to strip naked and she had removed all the shower curtains and shouted at us if we used our towels to cover ourselves, I wasn't fat but I still hated been so exposed and I still do.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:31 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 pm
Posts: 304
Kids these days sit in their bedrooms and play Xbox or playstation day and night.
I live next to a school and at least half are overweight. I grew up in the Spectrum/commodore 64 days and my parents would make me go out and play if it wasn't raining. Only if it was winter with snow on the ground were we allowed to stop in.
Is it any wonder one of the biggest costs to the NHS is obesity?
Going back to PE at school it should remain in the curriculum as its the only exercise some kids get as they are ferried to and from school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:44 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6737
Location: North Yorkshire
Kona lover wrote:
Kids these days sit in their bedrooms and play Xbox or playstation day and night.
I live next to a school and at least half are overweight. I grew up in the Spectrum/commodore 64 days and my parents would make me go out and play if it wasn't raining. Only if it was winter with snow on the ground were we allowed to stop in.
Is it any wonder one of the biggest costs to the NHS is obesity?
Going back to PE at school it should remain in the curriculum as its the only exercise some kids get as they are ferried to and from school.


I can understand where your coming from, my children are well fed with nutritious home made food, never have junk or go to junk food places they are young, slim and fit and I like it that way, but my experience of school both as a pupil and as a parent is it's never about just keeping children active and fit there is a large element of competition that can be humiliating for those that can't, generate from parent's, teachers and other pupils, and there is no escaping it, PE sessions have never been and never will be completely uncompetitive, completely fair to the non gifted and not about beating your fellow man.

Alison routing for the underdog


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: longun and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group