Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:23 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:56 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

So I think it's time to rethink how I listen to my music collection. I currently have around 800 cd's that I'm slowly uploading to my computer. I have a small but fairly decent Onkyo micro system attached to a Bose Acoustimass 3 speaker system. I plug the laptop into this when I want to play from iTunes or the like. I also have a Creative Soundworks cd radio (similar but obviously cheaper than the Bose cd radio). My kids are systematically destroying all my stuff; the cd player on the Onkyo no longer works since they managed to feed 3 cd's into it and they keep trying to put toys into the hole in the Bose woofer.

I've been thinking about buying a Sonos for a while and was planning to connect it to my existing stereo or speakers but in light of my children doing what children do I was thinking about a Sonos Play 3 with a bridge (special offer on ATM, buy both for £250). I like the idea that I can spend a relatively small amount and have upgrade options in the future when I can afford it. I can also keep it out of the way of sticky fingers and it will take up a small amount of space in my small house. I'm no audiophile but I do like my music to sound half decent though.

So would anyone be kind enough to share their opinions? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I have a Sonos Play 3 & Bridge. I like the noise and the access to all music, plus (internet) radio.

I use the remote on iphone / ipad which I find a little annoying since it has to wake up, connect to your wireless network and then the Sonos wireless network - which can take a few seconds. Apparently, using an Android tablet gets around this as one can connect Android direct to the Sonos Mesh. Sonos used to do a dedicated remote which is pretty good ... but expensive.

I also have a Sonos Amp which connects into my Cambridge Audio separates - you could probably connect your Bose speakers to this.

One more thing, if you're going to use the radio, make sure you have a generous broadband allowance and good connection speed.

Definitely don't look at the Sonos sound bar for your TV, either. Or the subwoofer. Bankruptcy lies that way ....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:35 pm 
BoTM | Gold | PoTM
BoTM | Gold | PoTM

Thanks for the pointers. I looked at getting one a couple of years ago and was going to run it through my Bose speakers but I seem to have less opportunity to listen to music in the house these days and getting rid of the bulky Bose woofer seems like a good idea at the moment.

Any more advice out there, the current Sonos offer finishes at the end of the month!