It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:23 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ham_Dream/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:22 am 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Can't watch it cause I'm in the States but yes I did love that car. I had one before I could drive, well actually it belonged to my uncle and was parked at my grandmother's but that's a whole new tale. The darn thing didn't run so some buddies got to "fixin" it but really just mucked it up worse. None the less I played Stock Car Driver most afternoons in the car until the scrap man came for it because it was parked on the neighbor's property. My uncle never forgave me because he said it was my fault that it did not run, but that guy had so many broken cars I'm surprised he even noticed it was gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 am 
Retro Guru

Mk IV was my second car. Piece of crap really, but I loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:41 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

My old man had one of these. New, August 1st 1976. Loved it.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 137.02 KiB | Viewed 472 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 am 
Retro Guru

Bliley, the MkIII. Apparently they were unloved by by collectors, but prices went through the roof due to the Gene Hunt effect.

One of my earliest motoring memories was my auld feller MKII 1600E, the ST of its day. My own Cortina was a bit sheet really - my first car was 1750 Allegro which was much better to drive, but a reliability nightmare. After a year the Fortuna started to get a bit lacy so I splurged on a Rover SD 1 2600. Velour trim and electric front windows - i was like a dog with 2 danglies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

OK not a car, and not made in Dagenham, but my dad was given a brand new Ford Transit minibus in 1980 and I have had a deep affection for the sound of a transit van door shutting since then, I don't know what it is but it just reminds me of home and all the good things about childhood :D

Alison

Last edited by Alison on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 am 

Chopper1192 wrote:
Bliley, the MkIII. Apparently they were unloved by by collectors, but prices went through the roof due to the Gene Hunt effect.

One of my earliest motoring memories was my auld feller MKII 1600E, the ST of its day. My own Cortina was a bit sheet really - my first car was 1750 Allegro which was much better to drive, but a reliability nightmare. After a year the Fortuna started to get a bit lacy so I splurged on a Rover SD 1 2600. Velour trim and electric front windows - i was like a dog with 2 danglies.

Well he was a DI on the RCS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 am 

Isaac_AG wrote:
OK not a car, and not made in Dagenham, but my dad was given a brand new Ford Transit minibus in 1980 and I have had a deep affection for the sound of a transit van door shutting since then, I don't know what it is but it just reminds me of home and all the good things about childhood :D

Alison

For me it's the smell of an old interior. My mum had a couple of 60s minis with the floor button starter. Dad's cars got changed every 3 years or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 am 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Ford cortinas are great, always liked the MkIII especially with the vinyl covered roofs. Mind you nearly got splattered by one aged about 8 when my caliper brakes failed as I shot out a side street on my Dawes King Pin 18. Thankfully driver was on the ball and the chromed bumpers did not splat me though he did call me very rude names :lol:

Liked the MKIV also, felt roomier as a passenger than the Vauxhall Cavalier my parents drove.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:55 am 
Old School Grand Master

My parents had a Mk2 estate. A horrid underpowered thing as we lived in Germany (BAOR) - it always seemed to struggle on the autobahns. I still remember the sickly smell of black plastic when the doors opened on a sunny day. We had a happy summer holiday in France with it trying to find exhaust parts - the car was completely different from the Taunus (Ford's continental equivalent). Still you always got a souvenir of a ride in that car - normally something would fall off which you could keep...

My dad hated it from day 1 and bought a Volvo 145 instead, which was finally scrapped after a quarter of a century's service.