lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a 200 litre, 3hp sealey compressor at my disposal and am considering buying a sandblasting set up.

any thoughts on this? i know its cheap but I cant justify much more as its a bit of a gamble really.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... AQ:GB:1123

also any ideas what media to use, primarily going to be removing powder coat from alloy so nneeds to be tough enough, but not too tough!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It might manage cleaning small parts but powder coat off a frame.... I fear you'll be sorely disappointed!

Your 3 hp Seeley might push out 10 cfm on a good day, they quote 6-25 cfm to operate the blaster buy my experience of these hobby blasters is they perform poorly even with an excess of cfm. You also need a really good water trap and keep your medium well filtered.

I used to run a production blaster off a 150cfm screw compressor and even then more air would have been better.

Bit disappointed now, as I was going to tell you all about my experiences with shaped charges. :shock: ;)

If the powder coat is stuck really well, you will damage the alloy from the areas that you have removed the powder coat, whilst trying to finish the areas that still have powder coat on them ... :-(

WD :D

I agree with everything in the posts above.
Chemical stripper is the way to go.
I lightly blast to give a key for the powder/paint.

PETN gets the job done more effectively for less... :cool:

(Hopefully some nerd at GCHQ won't see that's a PIT! :facepalm: )

Back