Thule 591 v Mont Blanc RoofSprint Roof Mounted Cycle Carrier

Re: Thule 591 v Mont Blanc RoofSprint Roof Mounted Cycle Car

I've got 3 of the Thule carriers, and can't fault them

Thank you :D

I have a high car (Sportage) so ease of loading is important which is why I had narrowed it down to these to models - I can't be doing a balancing act trying to get the clamp in place etc :LOL:

I can't decide ...

The Mont Blanc matches the Kia roof rails (they make them) but it's a bit dearer and doesn't seem as popular ? The design looks good, maybe it's the price that makes it less popular ?

WD :D

I use both ... got x2 Mont Blanc in the centre of the car and x2 Thules on the outside.

The Blancs support the bike upright better whilst you faf around doing up straps etc. ...which is why I put them in the middle of the roof.

Getting spares for the Blancs is slightly harder (e.g T attachments for Aero roof bars)

Both work brilliantly though and I would recommend either

As I recall from my last car Mont Blanc carriers come as standard with the T shaped bolts for mounting in the slot on oe roof bars. I use a Mont Bland carrier on the Disco, does a decent job, though the cheapo Green Valley carrier on the 4007 functions equally well for 1/4 the price.

Not if you pick them up from the car boot sale for £5 they dont :D :D

Chopper1192 said:
As I recall from my last car Mont Blanc carriers come as standard with the T shaped bolts for mounting in the slot on oe roof bars. quote]

Thanks guys :D

Mont Blanc users - will it actually support the bike without an extra hand whislt I mess around with the clamp ? (26" 2.2" tyres).

Cheers,

Yip...the front wheel wedges itself into the carrier thing. :D

WD Pro":3gacq38f said:
Thanks guys :D

Mont Blanc users - will it actually support the bike without an extra hand whislt I mess around with the clamp ? (26" 2.2" tyres).

Cheers,

They look like teh Thules I have (and andyB has)
Easy as can be.
Push arm up, left bike up (wheels in first and push frame in. On mine they stay up there reasting in the arm iirc, or at least I don't notice.
Tighten arm up with dial. Lock it in case I stop anywhere.

Stick the straps in if need be (I usualy do for long distance) to strap the wheels down.

My car is high (Xsara Picassa) and I have to stretch a bit to do it which can be a pain when you're on a slope. But everything you need is at roof hight so it's easy.

To get it out, it's undo, trigger lever and nudge the bike to drop it into your hand and walk away with it.

I've not used teh MontBlanc but it looks like it would be a pain having to alter and climb up the car to get the clamp part correct for the bike. Probably not a problem once setup for one bike, but mine carry kids bikes through the sizes to a 20" Kona.
In fact looking at it, I'd have to climb up the car to tighten it and lock it ?

You have hit the nail on the head with my dilema :LOL:

Try and do it without steps or bite the bullet and use them / take them with me ...

Depend on 'rolling' the bike into the Thule clamp or relying on the mont blanc wheel tray to hold it well whilst the clamp is adjusted.

New car with glass roof, I can see a disaster happening ... :LOL:

Back