Building basa wood and tissue gliders

Midlife

Retro Wizard
I used to build Caprice and Inchworm models (among others) as a kid and thought about starting again :) I have a couple of unbuilt kits but need a board , glue, pins, dope and the like.

Any body know of a reasonable e-bay shop where I can buy the above bits, no model shop here in Carlisle :(

Cheers

Shaun

warpedboy2":2yngh72k said:
COOL!!! I used to love building those as a kid.

And the rubber band powered planes too

Built lots of them when I was a kid.
Still got the Welsh blanket that was on my bed, it's full of scalpel holes;-)
The board is just a bit of chipboard with the some cork floor tiles on isn't it!
I used to go to Pascals in Guildford and lust after the big models, the things
that cost more than a quid or so for the kit's;-)

I was never that big into gliders, but used to build a lot of control line kits, and then later just from plans.

I still have a pile of plans here somewhere, although I really stopped flying when I moved to the South West and couldn't find any other flyers locally, so took to model boats instead.

There are a couple of decent shops around here and a big annual show in Yatton, so I'll get back into it one of these days.

Anyone remember banana oil? Used to condition rubber motors.

These guys-Inwood Models-are just around the corner from me.

Not on eBay, but good ecommerce from a real bricks and mortar shop.
They've always been very friendly and efficient for the bits and pieces of RC stuff I've needed over the years.

All the best,

Thanks for the info.... much apreciated. Just in from the garage and got the BB out of my 70's Jackson. Jap fixed cup, campag the other side and a silver old campag axle......ran it with a Sakae Royal chainset. Real mix and match stuff. Axle was a 68-SS-120 which is a double but the short wheelbase meantg a track axle was too short BITD.

Neil, I had a cheap broken plastic green ready made Hurricane as my first control line plane, built another on a borrowed glowplug but couldn't afford the fuel. similar with Jetex, blimey those pellets were expensive. 48 pence a week paper round didn't go far :) had a home made electric pylon set-up but boring.

Gliders it was then as they were cheap (free) to fly :)

Shaun

Midlife":2au0am45 said:
Neil, I had a cheap broken plastic green ready made Hurricane as my first control line plane, built another on a borrowed glowplug but couldn't afford the fuel.
I was given one of those Hurricanes as a present (Christmas or Birthday, can't remember which). I had already been flying control line for a while, so a brand new plane was superb.

All my engines were glow plug, and I didn't have anything bigger than .049. We had a fantastic local model shop, a real old place with models hung up all over the ceiling and a lovely old chap who owned it.

As I remember, a can of straight fuel used to have to last a week, and when we ran out of money / fuel, we used to make gliders with a 36" sheet of 1/8 balsa as the wing and everything else made from the scrap box. We never painted them and the towing hook was just a pin stuck into the profile fuselage. Some of them performed so well that we lost them, as they caught a thermal and were gone. When that happened we made chuck gliders out of bits from the scrap box.

As soon as we had some money, we'd get another can of fuel and the noise would start again. :mrgreen:

Our mecca in London was Henry J Nicholls, wow what a model shop that was.

There was also a constant trade in s/h engines in those days, which was pretty much the only way I could afford to buy them. Usually they were pretty 'tired' which made them hard to start and low on power, but they were what we could afford.

Happy days.

Back