Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:10 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
highlandsflyer wrote:
If they were earning 100k plus then I would suggest there should be some way of getting hold of some of that money to put back in the pot.


Funny I should be disagreeing with you as up till now your the person I've agreed with more than anyone else :D but then I disagree with my hubby occasionally and I've been with him since I was 3 :roll:

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:20 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:28 pm
Posts: 3361
Location: The Admiral Benbow
protecting us from what exactly?

edit: sorry that's a whole new topic, ignore me


Last edited by lumos2000 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:25 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
I am trying to think my way through it. It is a subject that has come up many times before.

The idea of social housing was not to provide cradle to grave accommodation for those not needing it.

Once you don't need it you are supposed to move on, and let it become free for those who need it.

Those staying in social housing once their circumstances have changed are akin to those sitting in hospital wards because they have a mild flu.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:41 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
Chopper1192 wrote:
What's this ex forces mind set all about Alison? As an ex squaddie, the brother of an ex squaddie, the claim of a marine, and the son of a Major, I'd be keen to know what this mind set is? We all had jobs, and in my dad's case has just retired after selling his share of the business he co.founded... for £7,000,000. None of us has ever taken a penny in benefits, or lived in social housing, have a criminal record, have ever been in debt.

So what's this mind set?

I've felt the collars of thousands of villains, and ex military personnel are hugely under represented when it come to criminal records.


It's nice to say for decades you've never claimed off the social or had social housing, that does not mean that anyone else who has should be discriminated against. I did once have benefits and it got me through a time, I'd hate to depend on it though. am I scum because I cannot afford, on my husbands salary, or even both of ours, when I worked, to buy a house, we almost did but I chickened out because I thought what if Dom was made redundant, he was less than 12 months later damn good job we didn't buy. |I don't know how anyone dares to as no job has any security these days, NO JOB at all. and you could easily end up with a mortgage and no means of paying it.

It does not matter what you do, you have to face the world just as anyone has to, and we all fall from time to time.

This thread is about whether just because we fight, and that's rare now, for our queen and country are we entitled to preferential treatment and my answer is no.

lumos2000 wrote:
protecting us from what exactly?


I'm not sure we are fighting for us at the moment, but I think our armed forces are attempting to keep it from crossing over to us, to be honest I'm a bit naive and I'm not afraid to admit it, my thoughts are too much close to my own home

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:55 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
highlandsflyer wrote:
I am trying to think my way through it. It is a subject that has come up many times before.

The idea of social housing was not to provide cradle to grave accommodation for those not needing it.

Once you don't need it you are supposed to move on, and let it become free for those who need it.

Those staying in social housing once their circumstances have changed are akin to those sitting in hospital wards because they have a mild flu.


Again that's a mater of opinion and situation, I have four children, too many I hear you cry, have you seen 16 kids and counting there are people on that are on social benefits with 13 children, I'm not on benefits. I could not afford £1000 rent a month to house my children, If I paid that, although it'd probably be more for a three bed house here, I would not be able to feed my children, OK you might say don't have kids you cannot afford them, then most of us, in fact probably 90% would say they cannot afford kids, maybe I should not have had my children, although I'd rather be struggling in social housing than not have any of my children. I think it is so easy to judge people, You smoke judge, you drink judge, you have to many children judge, you claim judge, you are taking from the more needy judge. I think on the whole people take what they need a few are greedy but deciding who is taking the piss and who is generally needy is a slim margin

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:02 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
"Those staying in social housing once their circumstances have changed are akin to those sitting in hospital wards because they have a mild flu."

At any rate when do you decide that someone does not need social housing any more, it's not like lane hogging, so when? when they're happy, when they earn a wage, when they can afford internet, a mobile phone? does it have to be for the desperate druggy persistent criminal because they are not independently supported?

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
I am not happy to have any of those attitudes ascribed to me.

My opinion that some people are well above the margin in society yet are receiving benefits they don't need is a matter of fact and a problem of distribution.

Why do you hear me cry you have too many children?

Scotland needs more people, you are more than welcome here.

If a three bedroom house is £1000 odds to rent then there is a problem with the rental market, and rent control could offer a solution.

The Tory grunts offering all this help to people buying houses at the moment would surely be better giving those on stable incomes in social housing the opportunity to buy their homes, with the loan they take going straight back into building more homes?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:07 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
Isaac_AG wrote:
"Those staying in social housing once their circumstances have changed are akin to those sitting in hospital wards because they have a mild flu."

At any rate when do you decide that someone does not need social housing any more, it's not like lane hogging, so when? when they're happy, when they earn a wage, when they can afford internet, a mobile phone? does it have to be for the desperate druggy persistent criminal because they are not independently supported?

Alison


How about when they earn nearly five times the average wage?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:13 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:02 pm
Posts: 6736
Location: North Yorkshire
highlandsflyer wrote:
Isaac_AG wrote:
"Those staying in social housing once their circumstances have changed are akin to those sitting in hospital wards because they have a mild flu."

At any rate when do you decide that someone does not need social housing any more, it's not like lane hogging, so when? when they're happy, when they earn a wage, when they can afford internet, a mobile phone? does it have to be for the desperate druggy persistent criminal because they are not independently supported?

Alison


How about when they earn nearly five times the average wage?


God if only :D If I earned that I'd defo would move and give up my house, I live here to survive not to steal from the less fortunate.

Alison


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:16 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11105
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
I think you have erroneously gathered I am somehow against social housing.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Fudd and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group