Retro Music

Noisia

Dirt Disciple
I've been sourcing music from the 80's and 90's as my past time. So far i've identified 606 hits from the nineties and 541 from the eighties. The major difference between my selection and these horrible compilations that come in boxsets is that i actually study a little bit of sub-cultures and trends. If you're interested i can share both lists sorted by criteria if requested. Anyone interested?

th_tumbleweed.gif

Not so much a fan of the 80s, although there was some good pop music BITD. Metal was reasonable too.
However the 90s really do float my boat, mainly because of the New Beat, Eurodance, happy hardcore and anything else I could nod my head on whilst munching pills that contained banned substances.

Currently trying to replace most of my 90s MP3 collection with FLAC. Now there's a challenge that's going to keep me busy for a while.

I can give you a headstart if you're interested. I'm also on the 320kbps/FLAC bandwagon... :)

Noisia":2f9oq02q said:
I can give you a headstart if you're interested. I'm also on the 320kbps/FLAC bandwagon... :)

Yeah, same here. 320kbps just doesn't cut it anymore nowadays. Weirdly enough, I blame Lindsey Stirling.

Same with my movies and series, unfortunately. I used to have everything on DVD and would then download them in 720p (or 1080 if I really really liked it) so I could leave the DVDs in the kitchen cabinet. Nowadays I'm buying the Blu-Rays when they are available and ripping everything at full quality. You don't want to know how much data that is. I'm gonna need a bigger NAS really soon

No need for a headstart, but thanks for the offer. I'll get there eventually. I have a pretty specific list of songs and getting them should be possible.

Morning,

I have a bit of an interest in music but i come from the days of records (a vinyl disc) and CD's. Could someone explian what FLAC is. I am planning to put my CD's onto my iPod - but i have not worked out how to do it - any advie welcome - once i get them on the iPod i hope to move the CD's somewhere out of my daughters way for safety!

Also, how long to complete this task, i think i have between 800 and 1000 CD's - well no more than 1000.

Thanks,

Richard

I think it's better to share the wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLAC

You will need a CD Ripper software to perform the conversion. Most media players such as Winamp / Windows Media Player / Foobar2000 are already equiped with such functionalities but i reckon the best and most complete tool for the job is EZ CD Audio Converter formerly known as EZ CD-DA Extractor Professional (commercial software).
There is a solid contender Exact Audio Copy which is free to use and very popular as well. Youtube is solid ground to get acquainted as the video demonstrates:

http://youtu.be/2I5IO64R2Lo

You will probably want to know about tagging your music files in a nearby future. I suggest you read about Mp3tag Wikipedia page and visit the forum. :)

Noisia,

Um. thanks - i will read the links and i hope i can understand them - i sorta got lost after you used the word 'Ripper' - i wish i was 25 years younger!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to compose such a well documented reply.

Richard

Back