BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
After seeing a few people mention that they do it (FMJ and Highlandflyer I think) I thought I'd give it a go last night. Despite not having done it before, both dogs settled into their positions and although there were a couple of close calls we all made it back without incident. The Collie loved to be out in front and just waited at any junction in the path to see which way to go. My 10 year old Spaniel sat just behind me all the way - I don't think she liked it quite as much as the Collie.
Great fun and definitely something I'll be doing again......

dscf5989y.jpg

dscf5982r.jpg

dscf5973z.jpg

Great dog and bike combo portrait!

I haven't been riding as much lately due to injury, but instead have been kayaking with the dogs. A mile or so back and forth on the beach sees them well knackered wading in the surf!

Luckily I have access to some remote areas where the dogs can please themselves while we plod along at our slow pace, I don't find it as relaxing when I need to close control them.

I've seen mtb'rs with there dogs chasing around many a trail and although i can see the animals are having a great time I also see that the biker is sometimes within a hairs breadth of disaster as the dog crosses the front wheel way too close. Certain breeds seem to be more problematic such as collies who have the sheep dog tendency to try and round up stuff meaning they tend to hang too close.
I tried it years ago with my Dalmation, they are a breed bred to run, acting as carriage dogs which would guard the carriage at standstill. Mine found the running bit easy but she also discovered the knobbly tyres were good for rubbing an itch on her back. She would lean on the front wheel as we ran along which did nothing for my steering often pushing me into ditches etc :facepalm:

4 or 5 times a week (one of me dogs plays up if not run regular). Canal systems are good for training 'em (only providing a mutt with two points of the compass should it decide to hit a scent and woooosh-dog in the fog trick). I run mine with a longer lead on (even though he dont need it) and don't really mind him trying to jolt me off the bike..i dont waste the time out with him and ride the out one handed and reverse it for the home run (bizarrely /or maybe not/ i'm now left handed solely for bike useage)...if the terrain and the unexpected cant get me one hand spilling then i wont be looseing the bars in a rush...least that was/is me thinking. Got called-on a month back with an unknown kid stood at the foot of a cobbled incline with a pit type on a lead and me at the top with a 1-ft terrier (he'd nodded me thru)....left hand only downhill cobbles with the a bend running along the side of the cut (mr pit licking his lips) was/is a good tester. Best bet is running 'em when a big match is on the tv and depending on the dog it's worth remembering they will run till thier hearts pop, greyhound and whippet boys only trot thier dogs ;)

I prefer having me dog so he's got eye contact with the front wheel (his barometer) that way the wheel can be utilised in a dustbin lid (dog stood on-side) manner should anything out of control spring it on us...dog infront of me means by the time i've reacted (got him close) he could be dead..funny thing with nutty dogs, they can be deadgame but struggle to work a route out when spokes are introduced into the plot...thats when they stall....out infront they don't stall...bit of a no brainer.

highlandsflyer":1d5iow01 said:
Great dog and bike combo portrait!

I haven't been riding as much lately due to injury, but instead have been kayaking with the dogs. A mile or so back and forth on the beach sees them well knackered wading in the surf!

Luckily I have access to some remote areas where the dogs can please themselves while we plod along at our slow pace, I don't find it as relaxing when I need to close control them.

I drove about half a mile to where the ride started just so I didn't have to bother with leads and could just let them run free.

Out of interest, where abouts are you mate?

velomaniac":2fm75ktf said:
I've seen mtb'rs with there dogs chasing around many a trail and although i can see the animals are having a great time I also see that the biker is sometimes within a hairs breadth of disaster as the dog crosses the front wheel way too close. Certain breeds seem to be more problematic such as collies who have the sheep dog tendency to try and round up stuff meaning they tend to hang too close.
I tried it years ago with my Dalmation, they are a breed bred to run, acting as carriage dogs which would guard the carriage at standstill. Mine found the running bit easy but she also discovered the knobbly tyres were good for rubbing an itch on her back. She would lean on the front wheel as we ran along which did nothing for my steering often pushing me into ditches etc :facepalm:

Mine seemed to pick it up straight away which is strange as ever since we've had the Collie, all he does on walks is herd the Spaniel and nip at her heels. I think he has found a new favourite activity :D

konatime":rm9jbuo0 said:
4 or 5 times a week (one of me dogs plays up if not run regular). Canal systems are good for training 'em (only providing a mutt with two points of the compass should it decide to hit a scent and woooosh-dog in the fog trick). I run mine with a longer lead on (even though he dont need it) and don't really mind him trying to jolt me off the bike..i dont waste the time out with him and ride the out one handed and reverse it for the home run (bizarrely /or maybe not/ i'm now left handed solely for bike useage)...if the terrain and the unexpected cant get me one hand spilling then i wont be looseing the bars in a rush...least that was/is me thinking. Got called-on a month back with an unknown kid stood at the foot of a cobbled incline with a pit type on a lead and me at the top with a 1-ft terrier (he'd nodded me thru)....left hand only downhill cobbles with the a bend running along the side of the cut (mr pit licking his lips) was/is a good tester. Best bet is running 'em when a big match is on the tv and depending on the dog it's worth remembering they will run till thier hearts pop, greyhound and whippet boys only trot thier dogs ;)

I prefer having me dog so he's got eye contact with the front wheel (his barometer) that way the wheel can be utilised in a dustbin lid (dog stood on-side) manner should anything out of control spring it on us...dog infront of me means by the time i've reacted (got him close) he could be dead..funny thing with nutty dogs, they can be deadgame but struggle to work a route out when spokes are introduced into the plot...thats when they stall....out infront they don't stall...bit of a no brainer.

Ah, so you do it on a lead, I bet that takes some practice!. There's a women in my village who has an attachment fixed to the rear stays (a bit like one of those old school fold out orange flags) that she connects her dog leads to so they can run alongside while she has both hands on the bars!

raidan73":1s31o2zv said:
konatime":1s31o2zv said:
Ah, so you do it on a lead, I bet that takes some practice!. There's a women in my village who has an attachment fixed to the rear stays (a bit like one of those old school fold out orange flags) that she connects her dog leads to so they can run alongside while she has both hands on the bars!

It does'nt really Raid, a dog will want to run and the geezer with the bike is man/woman who's paying the piper (even though a dog will try and convince them otherwise). Take 'em to an empty car park with a ten foot lead (i use an harness instead of a collar/ the attachment is the centre of dogs body and so i'm able to sling shot me dog thru the air into me mitts and stand him on something/he'll hang on a chain link fence if instructed-until i've dealt with any threats-such is life) and allow the dog it's full length and ensure it enjoys itself ('the trap'). Over the course of the following 7days (consecutive/apparently thats a must) start allowing less of the ten foot allowance till the dogs sited approx where you want it to be. If he's not playing ball keep the lead shortish and turn the bike into him (he'll dodge back) and turn the bike away from him so the shortened lead jolts on the harness attachment. A double daft dog will clock the area of agreement (within a certain space of the pedal he feels no jolt) within 7 days but even if the dogs sharp keep on with the figure of 8's and mad max wall about turns and the dog will learn to read the wheel. Post 7 days and something happens in dog land that cements the discipline.

Yeah seen the trick the woman in your village use's...i simply like to implement hurdles into the ride so myself and the dog are getting served-up in the same sitting and one handed riding (with up/downs and divets forces me to experiment with balnce and core under relatively safe conditions...nowt to do with showing off :oops: )

...wish I had a dog :(

One day I will, the missus promised when we finally get a house :D ...and after one more baby :roll:

Canuck":2hu4uzav said:
...wish I had a dog :(

One day I will, the missus promised when we finally get a house :D ...and after one more baby :roll:

How many children have you got right now Scott? We've got 2 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats and it all works ok, kinda ;)

Back