legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
...and failing miserably.

Washing machine (man?) bearing failed after the seal went making our washing dirty grey with the bearing grease. Cant fix it, looked it up, its a sealed thingy that requires too much to be dismantled.

Tried to fix the Doblo's driver window after two years of ignoring it - replaced the broken cable. Window went up, then up some more, popped off its runners and almost fell out. The plastic part that holds the window failed, got caught in the mechanism and promptly snapped the new cable...

The washing machine is 13 years old, the Doblo has done 182,000 miles, I think its time they were replaced. :LOL:

Washing machines, I have fixed a few. One of the most common jobs with rentals. Sounds terminal indeed. Not so much because that kind of bearing seal failing is surprising, but more that the rest of the machine is probably in need of burial. Jiggling about at 1000s of r.p.m. can't be healthy for the wiring looms and such as well. Door seals fail early thanks to wear, brushes and belts are a standard wear and tear item. Anything more I tend to throw if warranty is done.

That is an impressive mileage for a Fiat. By all accounts great little vans. That plastic part should be easy to source, no? A whole new door would probably be peanuts from a scrappy.

Recently changed my first wm seal after the latest rescue terrier took a fancy to it. Bit of a faff but with YouTube to guide me was sorted.

Rear door locks on passat saloon are next faff. Intermittent at best. :facepalm:

Funny, I spent some of today manhandling a broken washing machine down two flights of stairs and a another one back up them. :?

Same problem, the main bearing had gone. I looked up how to change the bearing on-line and it looked like a bit of a palaver and the parts were going to come to about £25. In the end I managed to find a replacement used washing machine for £30.

We have a maintenance plan on our washing machine, which has paid for itself many many times over.

The bearing went on the drum a little while ago and the engineer (a real one) just fitted a refurbished drum and he said he needed a puller to get the bearing off and a press to fit the new one, so it was a job he did at home and he always had a refurbed drum in the van... I did say he was a proper engineer. :mrgreen:

NeilM":28ajjv5u said:
We have a maintenance plan on our washing machine, which has paid for itself many many times over.

The bearing went on the drum a little while ago and the engineer (a real one) just fitted a refurbished drum and he said he needed a puller to get the bearing off and a press to fit the new one, so it was a job he did at home and he always had a refurbed drum in the van... I did say he was a proper engineer. :mrgreen:

We have a full kitchen plan, covers the cooker, fridge freezer, washing machine and tumble drier, ours has also paid for itself many times over, for the lot with Domestic and General we pay about £18-19 p/month.

Alison

highlandsflyer":2p61t6hx said:
We buy Blomberg. Latest one is still churning after fourteen hard years. Never pay for extended warranties on anything.

Well that was the kiss of death wasn't it :LOL:

highlandsflyer":3eq8dmhz said:
We buy Blomberg. Latest one is still churning after fourteen hard years. Never pay for extended warranties on anything.

I would normally say the same but our washing machine and tumble drier have had so many repairs over the years, it would have cost us hundreds and hundreds and hundreds, most repairs are around the £150 each call out, something we never have spare at the time, but paying monthly a small amount has not only saved us many, many, many pounds over the years but means as soon as something goes wrong a man arrives puts it right and goes home and we are always guaranteed a working machine in a matter of a couple of days, all is good to me, also it covers accidental damage so when my hubby skidded across the kitchen floor crashing into the oven door braking it we didn't have to pay the £300+ repair bill, they just fixed the door :D

Alison

Back