If you were?

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The most energetic person in the world, OK I'm not talking quite Ellen MacArthur here, but you know what I mean, then you became Big Daddy :roll: how would you return to your former self? I've ridden but I tire too quickly whereas before I could push my own boundaries, now I find I give up too quickly :(

I find how much I try to go faster and further I just flake out and cannot continue, I used to ride a round trip of 60 miles to work now I struggle to do a few, if that :roll: I know I'm older but not that much, for crying out loud. :shock: what is the answer?

Alison

A time machine ?

Im more or less the same :? A bad fall kept me off the bike for about 3 years and the fitness and muscle mass has quickly dropped away.
Its going to take a couple of years minimum to undo what it took 20 to get to.It cannot happen overnight and even if you were in late teens or early twenties it would still take a year of damn near daily intensive routine.
I suggest going out every single day come rain,shine,hail or snow. Let it be a joy once more and nothing will stop you getting out.

Uhg its bloody hard.
When I started mtbing I already used to run lots, so I had pretty good fitness, and had ridden loads of bmx before, so that helped loads...
but foraward 20 years, too much work, cars injuries, junk food and general stupidity and putting on an extra 20...25 (ok maybe 30kg) and loosing any fitness i ever had...it is not very very hard.

I am doing some of the longest rides I have ever done...on the road, on a road bike. but even then they are very slow. But my fitness compared to this time last year is MUCH better, been trying very hard, running, riding. Now I just have to get soem strength and skills back and loose some more tonnage and we'll be looking good. Luckily I don't have a job so can do whatever whenever :)

Biggest issue I have now is that when I try to push hard it just plain destroys me.

diet? just a thought.
no posts about carbs, hydration etc on this forum....i'd like to see some. i know it's all available on the net, but i like to be spoon fed info!

I'd eat less, exercise more, and stick doggedly at it for a long as required. There ain't no short cuts outside of surgery.

I also an amateur powerlifter, which gives me a weight and build which isn't the best for cycling. That said, it's given me phenomenal climbing capacity and make towing a fully laden child trailer a breeze.

To quote the great italian 60's bike racer Fausto Coppi upon being interviewed as to what was the secret of his success, he replied in the limited English he had : ' Ride your bike, ride your bike and ride your bike !'
What he meant was get on your bike for every journey you make no mater if its a long training run or just popping down the shops. Every little helps whereas just thinking about it does nothing at all ;)

How do you motivate yourself to go out in the driving rain? Hate it and am falling off the regular riding every other day routine.

The answer is simple and is found within yourself. Just don't give up. Never. That's the key. If your mind set is like: "Never giving up no matter what!" then your body will adjust over time.
And another fact: What you were capable of doing once you will be capable of doing again! It wasn't about the body the last time and it isn't right now.
Like the great Ice-T once said: "The lethal weapon is the mind."
Go do it.

Back