Oh the bike to work :(

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Next week my hubby will be back to cycling to work, he loves doing this come rain, shine or snow, me I love that he goes out loving the ride and getting the exercise along with his other riding, but I hate it also, because I have the fear of anything happening to him, other than a couple of falls in the snow, I've done that myself, nothing has happened, touch wood :).

Do you fear your other half riding, even if you don't fear riding yourself ?

Alison

I had a mate who used to ride motorbikes, but he got married and his missus banned him cos she feared an accident, so he started cycling to work.
He ended up getting knocked off by a motorbike and broke his back.
The irony :facepalm: ...

I cycle in. Partly cos there's no where to park, partly cos i enjoy it, partly to show the youngsters what a bunch of soft southern woos' s they are.

If the rest of the country follows Nottinghams workplace parking tax then expect to see a huge boom in both cycle commuting and street parking.

I walk to work in my pants. I would love to cycle to work, but its impractical, any way its only 7 steps from the bedroom to the office and a lot more to the garage to get the bike, so not worth it.

Went riding with a guy I used to go to school with yesterday, he rides a lot on the road, not seen him in about 15 years. He was telling me he'd been knocked off his bike 6 times on the roads, the last time was only just at the end of my road on the roundabout!

Carl.

Jeez, I been cycling on the road 40 years never been collected off by a car, though had my fair share of close calls.

I may be biased as someone who teaches it, but while a lot of car driver behave like chumps around cyclists, a lot of cyclists rid like tits as well and then act surprised and hurt when they get augered.

Hopefully Alisons other arf is sensible and switched on, keeps the odds well in his favour.

Well, the British Medical Association's considered view was that you are better off cycling: improved health is guaranteed, compared to the limited chance of accident.

Let him ride. The dangers of driving are insidious - heart attacks, obesity, diabetes.

And just of the smug feeling the comes with not being one of those people who choke the planet and devour its resources in order to just get to work, where their business probably also chokes the planet and devours its resources.

Where possible I won't drive a journey of under 10 miles, which means I hardly drive at all. On A.N.Other cycle forum there's a thread running where you list your rides of the day. I was listing 2 or 3 rides daily (though I try to have one day a week to rest my joints) myself, but it quickly became apparent that most members of the particular cycle enthusiasts forum barely ride bikes at all.

Alisons other arf is to be applauded for work in on his fitness, easing congestion, doing his duty as a citizen to decrease our nation's reliance foreign energy sources, while minimising environmental damage. Many like to talk the talk, but Mr Ali is walking the walk. Or riding the ride.

Chopper1192":fbn6unlm said:
And just of the smug feeling the comes with not being one of those people who choke the planet and devour its resources in order to just get to work, where their business probably also chokes the planet and devours its resources.

Where possible I won't drive a journey of under 10 miles, which means I hardly drive at all. On A.N.Other cycle forum there's a thread running where you list your rides of the day. I was listing 2 or 3 rides daily (though I try to have one day a week to rest my joints) myself, but it quickly became apparent that most members of the particular cycle enthusiasts forum barely ride bikes at all.

Alisons other arf is to be applauded for work in on his fitness, easing congestion, doing his duty as a citizen to decrease our nation's reliance foreign energy sources, while minimising environmental damage. Many like to talk the talk, but Mr Ali is walking the walk. Or riding the ride.

It was the beginning of spring when he broke his second bike, he's going to be like jelly when he gets to work on his first day back on the bike. Yes when he's on the bike we'll hardly be using the car, just the odd journey per month.

Alison

Back