cheesed off!

Someone, somewhere, is talking bollarks. If someone is inadvertently injured then that's a civil matter, and the Police are strictly forbidden from becoming involved in civil disputes. The question of liability following injury at a public even is civil.

I suspect the dribble are either being heavily mid-understood, or its made up. The most they're liable to say, having o. Many occasions delivered such messages yourself, is something to the effect of "have you considered your position re insurance etc if in case soneone is injured at your event?', and be they car cruisers or cheese rollers the answer is usually a "no".

Someone attends the event, falls, breaks their neck, sues the organiser for the value of their house etc, and they invariably complain afterwards 'why didn't someone tell me?'

On the local news every year. Somebody usually gets fairly well ambulanced. But implied consent and all that.

Chopper1192":4l7yzyhu said:
Someone, somewhere, is talking bollarks. If someone is inadvertently injured then that's a civil matter, and the Police are strictly forbidden from becoming involved in civil disputes. The question of liability following injury at a public even is civil.

I suspect the dribble are either being heavily mid-understood, or its made up. The most they're liable to say, having o. Many occasions delivered such messages yourself, is something to the effect of "have you considered your position re insurance etc if in case soneone is injured at your event?', and be they car cruisers or cheese rollers the answer is usually a "no".

Someone attends the event, falls, breaks their neck, sues the organiser for the value of their house etc, and they invariably complain afterwards 'why didn't someone tell me?'

As an entrant into motor sport I understand the same and our organisers have about 10m of liability cover in place.

However the big thing is that we have to enter a week prior to an event and effectively sign a waiver. The weeks time lag means that you are given adequate chance to digest and understand the conditions and back out if required. I'd bet they have no such entry procedure in place or any cover. So while it's a civil matter it's good advice to the organiser that they could be on the end of a big civil claim should it go tit's up.

Carl.

Stuff like this makes me want to shoot myself with despair. If I do please can someone please sue the author of the article for causing my untimely death?

Anyone spouting this kind of crap needs a swift kick in the nuts!

Well said, Sir!

Now, next time you're at a familiar public event, you're injured as a consequence and can't work, and then find the organiser has no cover, then we will hold you to that fine sentiment.

It's an easy thing to say when it's not your leg in plaster and you're still cashing your pay check each month.

Are you saying the cheese manufacturer should get some public liability insurance if he want to supply this event? :shock:

People are too keen to blame others for their own misfortune nowadays.. neglect is another issue.

Chopper1192":qmc9fj3y said:
Well said, Sir!

Now, next time you're at a familiar public event, you're injured as a consequence and can't work, and then find the organiser has no cover, then we will hold you to that fine sentiment.

It's an easy thing to say when it's not your leg in plaster and you're still cashing your pay check each month.

^^^^
What he said. Such protocols are in place for a genuine reason, much as the Faily Express and Daily Blackmail would love us all to think that it's "H&S gone mad". :roll:

Plus, to be frank rolling it down a hill is a waste of good Double Gloucester. Far better to bung it on toast, grill it then serve with Branston pickle. :)

David

dan smith":31y8y96n said:
Are you saying the cheese manufacturer should get some public liability insurance if he want to supply this event? :shock:

People are too keen to blame others for their own misfortune nowadays.. neglect is another issue.
He would be wise to do so in order to protect himself, his livelihood and even his house if it for pear shaped.

After all, if he's so cocksure that every last minutiae is covered and nothing can go wrong then the premium will be tiny and there shod be no hesitation putting his money where his mouth is.

The dibble can t make the chap buy insurance, only make a recommendation. The fact that our chap has paused for thought speaks volumes for how sure he is over the efficacy of his preparations an planning.

You have a duty of care when you organise a public event. If you're not wealthy enough to make proper recompense if something should go wrong, then insurance is surely only a sensible measure? The fact that the gent isn't wealthy enough to fork out big sums in the event of something going wrong, and is balking at the thought of buying insurance, shows quite frankly little regard for those who will be under their care or supervision.

I've got insurance for my mtb coaching, and £3 million of liabilities costs me only £50 for a whole year. We're talking quite piddling sums here for quite comprehensive cover, not thousands of pounds, so I can't see what the big objection is. Of course, to get the insurance you have to have a basic but proper emergency plan, certain number of first aiders etc, and if lack of this basic but sensible planning and support is what the big problem is then it's only too bloody right the local single hada just word. After all, if they didn't and things did go a bit.bobby then we'd be sat here criticising the police instead.

Back