Scottish independence

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've just watched on the news with Farage getting kicked out of Scotland to some amusement.

To me I think, if the majority of Scotland wants to be independent, what's the problem with them being so?

I'm a bit naive about politics today on the whole, it's been years since the 80's when my mum insisted on me knowing about it because she was the Green Party candidate. although never elected. I just don't see the government objection to this.

What do the Scottish members of this Retrobike community feel? Or is this too private a subject for you. I know the Scottish woman from The News Quiz, Sorry terrible with names :oops: refused to put forward her position.

Alison

does nick griffin ever get up that way?
what sort of reception does he get :D
poor nigel must realy hurt his feelings being treated like that.

I think he totally over reacted. It is called freedom to assemble, freedom to protest, freedom of speech Nigel. No one put a hand on him.

Quite like the bloke generally, but he took a cheap shot accusing these young impressionables of racism.

As far as independence for Scotland goes, it is looking very unlikely.

That would be a good result for democracy, but I reckon a bad result for Scotland.

The point about welcoming immigrants was very true for my manor.

We here in the Highlands are stoked to have immigrants, be they Romanian, Polish, Latvian, Nigerian, Thai, English.

Without them our gaff would be falling to bits and all the wee communities would be dying out.

Fact.

Personally i would hate to see the Scotland leave the UK as i believe it would diminish both parties considerably.

I also feel it is a step backwards. I don't agree with the EU in its current state however i do believe that eventually it makes sense for like counties to operate as one and that means a single governing body.

Being an Englishman i do not know enough about how / why Scotland is suffering from being part of the UK. To me it seems more like Alex salmon is hell bent on making a name for himself than doing what is best for Scotland. Separating Scotland would cause many problems in my opinion.

Is what Scotland stands to gain really worth it?

Salmond is not a one trick pony. He is a great leader for Scotland and is much bigger than the independence issue. No joke intended.

I find it hard to get into the debate on a cycling website, but it is much more than nationalism.

With the global economy, and global communication, rafting up to other geographical neighbours based on merely that seems backwards to me.

The SNP mark progress for Scotland, and I hope losing the referendum is not going to prevent that continuing.

"I find it hard to get into the debate on a cycling website"

Well it is the "Off Topic" bit, and so many topics get discussed here, but thanks for replying. I like Alex Salmond too, I think he has so much say that I agree with. As to "one trick pony" there could be no worse than William Hague and his save the pound campaign.

Alison

highlandsflyer":1orfvpil said:
Salmond is not a one trick pony. He is a great leader for Scotland and is much bigger than the independence issue. No joke intended.

I find it hard to get into the debate on a cycling website, but it is much more than nationalism.

With the global economy, and global communication, rafting up to other geographical neighbours based on merely that seems backwards to me.

The SNP mark progress for Scotland, and I hope losing the referendum is not going to prevent that continuing.
Given up already?
Not surprising really. Salmond's intention to keep the pound would imply that he realises full independence is a no-goer.
For the same reason he wanted to offer the now defunct " devo lite" option.
You might have more chance of independance by balloting the English... ;)

Back