Another thing, SATS

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a 10 year old about to take her SATS, she has always struggled with education, trying to get her to do work and spellings is like trying to win a war, she hates all school stuff and refuses to do it. I think she is embarrassed about her abilities, all our other children have been high achievers and I was not, I was lower than the low and the school treated me as such, I don't want my wee one to go through what I did.

Please any advise to help her.

Alison

The twins also have them next week. Perfect timing with the news today that late summer births are out performed by their Autumn born classmates all the way to university.

The twins were born on 31 August.

My girls were born May and June, my older daughter 12, has just said she thinks she has done badly in maths and is scared she is going to be dropped, we've told her to work with my hubby more, I said he didn't do a degree in maths for nothing, she also keeps herself to herself too much, Oh school it's so worrying

Alison

These tests are for the schools don't forget. Ours certainly seem serious with letters home all week with advise on preparing the kids.

Our daughter also struggles with maths and has really benefitted from some extra tuition. Just an hour on a Saturday has really made a difference.

I wish we had the money for extra tuition :( Harriet could really do with it, maybe they could boost her enthusiasm.

Alison

I have helped with four full test papers today. Have just done a level 6 maths paper with Charles and I must say some of them took some thinking about!

Iwasgoodonce":2n2fg56z said:
The twins also have them next week. Perfect timing with the news today that late summer births are out performed by their Autumn born classmates all the way to university.

The twins were born on 31 August.

I never knew about all these disadvantages of being a summer baby, ok having your birthday after schools break up means on holiday for birthday but no one told me I was disadvantaged, and I managed an A level at 16 and graduated uni age 20, which is so much harder for those older kids, the lucky bit was that I went to a good secondary school that gave me the opportunities and a supportive mother where education was always important, my nephew felt disadvantaged doing a test where it was age adjusted since he is September and oldest in his year, so I think its a bit of give and take and doing the best whatever, good schools and being supportive.

As far as I know it doesn't matter what she gets in the SATS, it's just to get an idea of where your child is and how the child is doing compared to what was predicted (a school then then also be graded on how well it got to getting that estimate grade some time back, they call it Value Added).

Tell them not to worry and if she doesn't get what was expected of her then ask the school why and what can be done to help.

There is certainly a lot to be said for parental support, although my patents as far as education was concerned left us to our own devices my sister and brother were both high achievers yet I was a seriously low achiever, I blossomed in college many years later.

Alison

Iwasgoodonce":1zr8kv9o said:
Our daughter also struggles with maths and has really benefitted from some extra tuition. Just an hour on a Saturday has really made a difference.

Totally agree with this. One hour a week has changed the attitude of our middle son. His tutor is a well-known local pillar of the community, quite posh, which he found a bit intimidating to start with, but now he even dresses-up smartly when going to see her, and always does his homework. The difference in his attitude is very noticeable, and pleasantly surprising to be honest!

We can't afford it either really, but at £25 a week its worth the sacrifice.

Cheers,
Andrew

Latest posts

Back