Recommend a motorbike security chain and cover + insurance!

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
picking up a motorbike on saturday and would like to sort out a rain cover (being kept out on the road outside out flat) so will need to be water proof/wind proof/cheapish incase its vandalised..... :/
also need a decent chain.

whats out there? i'm a complete noob to this, so if any of you retrobikers out there use something you swear by, i;d like to hear it :)

:xmas-big-grin:

also trying to get a quote for fully comp insurance for no more than £150.....am i being unrealistic?

Re: Reccomend a motorbike chain and cover

Which exact brand or type of chain you use ... well ... it's not like your CG will have enough power to snap a chain or wear it out rapidly purely on power. If that happens, bad maintenance or bad luck will be involved.
The MBX50 I rode during my teen years had around 50% more power and torque than a CG has, and the original regular 50cc chain coped with that just fine.
Basically, find a retailer that sells chain and sprocket kits for your CG (a CG125W if I'm not mistaken) and order whatever you fancy from their selection. it really won't make that much of a difference.

The CG was either available with a chain guard or a full chain cover. If a previous owner ditched the cover, it'll often have no chain protection at all.
In that case, I would seriously consider getting another full chain cover. It may not be as pretty as a regular chainguard and will require more work if you want to check the chain tension or oil it, but it'll greatly increase your chain's life especially if you will also be driving it in rain or on wet roads. The interval between checkups will increase too, so you won't have to check it too often.

Wemoto (a UK-based webshop) has plenty of parts for your CG, including full sprocket and chain kits or that chain cover I mentioned above.
http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cg_125_w/98-00/

I think he meant a chain to lock it up with, not a drive chain. :D

The bigger the better basically; Almax do some ludicrously beefy chains that are probably as tough as or tougher than anything else on the market: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ ... ts/c-1-73/

However, what motorbike is it and how bad is crime in the area where you live? Might be overkill if you have a cheap clapped out moped and you live in a nice area. :D

have no pics right now, but got myself a 99 CG125. very low mileage and in good condition :) cant wait to get hold of it :) :D

i did mean chain as in lock :oops: wrote it in a bit of a rush!

Get yourself a Oxford products rainex cover my friend.

Nice and heavy for more permanent every day use.Just make sure you get the size though.If its for a CG you will need a size small.

Oxford chains are good value and if you get a thick looking one, it will put people off..... a chain is only as good as the lock....BUT if your keeping it outside, get a ground anchor, otherwise you bike can just get picked up by 2 people............any cheap cover off ebay will do............i used to spray all my engines and carbs with GT85 as it keeps it all corrosion free........ :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/mammoth-grd003- ... nd+anchors
i cemented mine in outside with ready mix posting cement from b+q etc with added rocks so it had a wide underground ''plug ''

get a ground anchor, otherwise you bike can just get picked up by 2 people

A CG125 can be picked up by 1 person. :D

So a ground anchor would be good if there isn't a handy lamp post or something sturdy to lock it to. Also, it's better to leave bikes where it's well lit and overlooked rather than tucked away in a dark corner where thieves can work on a lock unseen, so locking it to a street lamp or near one is a good idea. Also, try and keep the chain and lock off the floor so they can't use hammers or cold chisels on it.

Some tips: http://www.morethan.com/Pages/Products/ ... urity.aspx

Back