Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:10 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Just came across a post from a banned user. So what do you have to do to get banned from the site? Any examples or is this a contentious issue?

Have already seen threads containing comments that I thought were inappropriate but were left to be viewed so enlighten me. :?:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:14 pm 
Section Moderator & South West AEC

banning is usually due to being out of order over a long period of time.

that said people have previously requested bans so as to save their bank balance! (seriously)

other reasons are being dodgy regarding sales.

:)

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:48 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

I saw someone who was banned within weeks of usage, when I trawled through what he had wrote I found nothing, but he must have done something to get banned so quickly, yet I now someone who has been banned from other sites but still remains here despite his negative often aggressive words. So I don't know myself what does it, I try to keep as clear from trouble as I can often not replying to posts I feel strongly about, not just because I might get banned but also because I don't want to infuriate people I respect on here,

Alison

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm 

sometimes stuff that is considered offensive enough is removed so it can't be seen, otherwise it would continue to offend others.

most of the time it's kitchen selling spammers, retrobike is generally a mellow place occupied by reasonably educated people with a common interest, bans are few and far between.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 pm 

Still does not explain why someone can be banned within weeks of opening an account, while an obviously constantly offensive member banned from other sites for his offensiveness can remain a member here. Don't mean to complain, BUT, just asking ?

Alison

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Overuse emoticons, you get teh

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 am 
Old School Grand Master

Alison,

People can get banned without having openly offensive posts.
Sometimes it's a trading dispute or stuff that's said via PM (threats, insults, etc). Sometimes it's just because we find out it's a new account from a member who is already banned.
Also, sometimes we will remove posts to clean up important or informative threads. If a member steps out of line so much that a ban is warranted, cleaning up the thread can remove the offending post and make the "show all posts by this member" list look all clean.
As you see, there are plenty of reasons why people can be banned despite looking okay.

Some members, although banned from other sites, can walk a fine line for a while, meaning they're rude enough to get a few slaps on the wrist or a temporary ban ... but just not rude enough to warrant a permanent one.
Eventually they WILL slip up though, and then the appropriate measures will be taken. But just because someone isn't banned, doesn't mean he/she is not in the moderators' crosshairs.

As for you reading posts that you feel are unacceptable : We can't read every single post, so some may slip through.
If a post is really offensive, hit the "Image" button on the bottom right of that post and fill in the report form. That way it'll certainly be read. Just don't abuse that button because that might backfire.

What happens after you submit a report (especially regarding bans, cleaning, etc) is at the moderators' discretion. We can't/won't explain our every action, so it's best not to go too far into this.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
Alison

I don't which member you have followed but sometimes, previously banned users have tried to sneak back on using false accounts and new names could be your user was one of those, don't know why they bother they all get caught eventually :roll:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:30 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

What Raging_Bulls says really.

To answer the original post the best way to get banned is to
-rip other members off
-post spam
-make offensive posts (which are generally removed)
-just ask

There is a ban list which details why users have been excluded if you look for it.

If there is a specific member which is a concern it's best to drop myself or a mod a note rather than making obtuse references. We are not the internet police so cannot possibly monitor the actions of all 26K+ users on other sites.

Anyhow for me this has run it's course. Locked.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]