The law is an ass. And then some in certain cases........

Re: The law is an ass. And then some in certain cases.......

Whilst I've spent many years at work being frustrated and somewhat unsurprised at the pathetic sentencing handed down by our courts this example has genuinely stunned me, whether it is the sentencing guidelines or indeed the interpretation by the court that it wrong this sentence should immediately be challenged by the DPP as being unduly lenient. What sort of deterrent to the public or punishment to the offender does this show? Absolutely none! No wonder some motorists simply treat cyclists as an obstacle rather than a fellow road user.

We don't have the DPP in Scotland, the Procurator Fiscal does the same job in Scotland. I can however see this one being looked at very seriously by them. If nothing else the Sheriff who handed the sentence out should be demoted or reprimanded in some way.

I hate this, I just don't understand why death by dangerous driving is not considered as manslaughter which it clearly is, It is frustrating in the extreme, this person should get life or the nearest equivalent to it.

Alison

If Alex Salmond wasn't wasting his time on irrelevant crap then important stuff that people actually care about like this might get taken care of.

May I ask, have any of the above ever written to their MP about cycling on British roads?

Further the relevance of Alex Salmonds political views, be they crap to our English neighbours, has nothing to do with this thread and thus would ask that this is kept in mind.

velomaniac":1zioo1jm said:
Further the relevance of Alex Salmonds political views, be they crap to our English neighbours, has nothing to do with this thread and thus would ask that this is kept in mind.

Well said Velo.

The law really is an ass, or perhaps just this particular lawman, Sheriff James Scott.

scottmac":141xzhsp said:
May I ask, have any of the above ever written to their MP about cycling on British roads?

Is this on a loop?

Salmond has been doing rather well as our Prime Minister over the years. Efforts he may now direct to the independence campaign take nothing away from his achievements.

We ought to be treating those who drive like this in the same way we would someone discharging a rifle into the street at random.

Latest posts

Back