Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:26 am 
Old School Grand Master

It has been in the news that britain is experiencing a ' peaceful time' with violent crime rates down............well i think that is BS. More than 10,000 serious violent crimes were dealt with informally last year,

I think they are using this kind of thing below to reduce the actual figures (fudging)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22349172

Because this kind of stuff seems to be on the up
eg
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-22342233

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-22348820

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:26 pm 
Old School Grand Master

The report that crime was falling was based not just on official figures but also on the British Crime Survey, which uses mass interview techniques to discover the level of unreported crime.

The trend is real; however what is puzzling is that it is happening throughout the developed world, where economic and political conditions vary.

Burglary has fallen a lot in the past 20 years. The main reason is probably a change in drug usage (heroin to crack) and the fact that it is hard to steal a 42" TV, with the rest of people's consumer electronics almost worthless (how much is a DVD player worth under a pub table if you can buy a new one from Asda for £15?)
As a result assault increased as phones were the most valuable things people took. Cars are sufficiently hard to steal that nowadays the key is necessary; again likely to become an assault case.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:50 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I just find it hard to get a grip on how many violent murders are in the news every week it seems....like recently in wales an argument over where a pram was kept, led the accused to just set fire to it leading to the death of a mother and her children in the flat above !!!!...have we just become accustomed to them now..........jack the ripper seems not so unique now in his viciousness.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:15 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Look at the trend here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... allen.html

The rate in Georgian times was several times that of today.
The USA is about 5x that of the UK, but of course it's nothing to do with guns, Americans are simply way more murderous... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:27 pm 
Retro Guru

some interesting articles about lead levels dropping after lead in paint and petrol banned

also what is impact of improved detection and forensics, premeditated lot more difficult to get away with.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

But is it me they seem more grisly now than they used to...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

greenstiles wrote:
But is it me they seem more grisly now than they used to...

not really, maybe coz of media we get to know about it but murdering, atrocities and violence has been going on for centuries. these acts are less than a drop in the ocean compared to gengis khan

for starters:
Mongols massacred over 700,000 people in Merv and more than a million in Nishapur. China suffered a drastic decline in population as a direct result of the Khan: before the Mongol invasion, China had about 100 million inhabitants; after the complete conquest, 1279, the census in 1300 showed it to have roughly 60 million people.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:01 am 
Old School Grand Master

I was comparing moreto 80's 90's etc more than way back but yes i guess it's in all of us potentially