Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: energy suppliers ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:55 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

who's happy with there gas & electric supplier.
after receiving a hefty quarterly bill i'm looking to switch.
went on a compare site and was faced with all these tariffs etc.
thought i'd get some feedback on who thinks they are getting a good deal.
i'm with british gas at the mo. but there must be a better deal out there ?

Post subject: Re: energy suppliers ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:24 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner

I am!

Used to pay £70 Gas and £50 Elec per month with Southern/SSE until I signed up for that Which Big Switch thing.
What a waste of time and money that was........ In the end, after months of waiting around, I got offered a £20 per month cheaper deal... so I thought F**k That, I bet I can get better!

Did a bit of my own researching and ended up paying £61 all in per month for Gas and Elec combined with The Co-op
Wish I hadnt waited 6 months for the results of the Big Switch thing now

First thing I would do would be to get off quarterly statements and go monthly DD.... that way you can often get a discount
If you are serious about reducing your energy bills, have a look into The Green Deal....
Its a no brainer of you ask me.

G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:37 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

unkleGsif wrote:
I am!

Used to pay £70 Gas and £50 Elec per month with Southern/SSE until I signed up for that Which Big Switch thing.
What a waste of time and money that was........ In the end, after months of waiting around, I got offered a £20 per month cheaper deal... so I thought F**k That, I bet I can get better!

Did a bit of my own researching and ended up paying £61 all in per month for Gas and Elec combined with The Co-op

First thing I would do would be to get off quarterly statements and go monthly DD.... that way you can often get a discount
If you are serious about reducing your energy bills, have a look into The Green Deal....

G

thanks for this advice. i'll look into it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
unkleGsif wrote:
I am!

G

+1 for the Co-Op, currently I'm about 15-20 quid per month better off after ditching npower. The Co-Op did have a few teething troubles setting up and activating my account but basically I'm very pleased with them.

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I use Scottish Hydro, and for some reason never bothered shopping around. When I rang them to get a business supply reconnected they were all sniffy and asking for a deposit as the unit had a previous tenant who didn't pay their bill.

Pointed out I have been a customer for twenty plus years, domestic and business, and had never had to pay a deposit and was not about to.

They were evasive when it came to the details of the rates and contract as well, wanting me to sign up before I got any further.

Called EON and within five minutes had it all sorted, credit check done so no deposit and contract for twelve months I am perfectly happy with.

Excellent customer service.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:25 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

highlandsflyer wrote:
I use Scottish Hydro, and for some reason never bothered shopping around. When I rang them to get a business supply reconnected they were all sniffy and asking for a deposit as the unit had a previous tenant who didn't pay their bill.

Pointed out I have been a customer for twenty plus years, domestic and business, and had never had to pay a deposit and was not about to.

They were evasive when it came to the details of the rates and contract as well, wanting me to sign up before I got any further.

Called EON and within five minutes had it all sorted, credit check done so no deposit and contract for twelve months I am perfectly happy with.

Excellent customer service.

Impressive - we changed provider last year ( I let Mrs A do it as I couldn't be doing with the hassle!) and it was a nightmare. They couldn't have made it more difficult!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:13 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Just use the comparison sites, us witch is easy.

I say that as different areas of the country pay different amounts. So it depends where you live.

Pay monthly direct debit, online only but check conditions.

Mr money saving expert website should have all you pretty much need to know and is updated as tarrifs and prices change.