Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:25 pm
Posts: 606
Location: New Forest
The ironic things about cycle lanes and motorists misguided insistence we should use them (because it suits their nonsensical road tax argument) is the overwhelming majority do not comply with the Department For Transport own specifications in size or markings, they are often in a dangerous state of disrepair with little or no maintenance by the appropriate authorities, and the national guidelines from bikeability are that if you are cycling at over 15mph then you should be in the main carriageway of the road anyway! We as cyclists are damned if we do and damned if we don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26178
Location: Moomin Valley
walkers with red flags and fluorescent jackets should march in front of cyclists at all times.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11106
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
highlandsflyer wrote:
I don't think people with entrenched views are going to take a blind bit of notice to the possibility of being presumed at fault if they hit a cyclist.

Too late for the cyclist in many cases.


Neil, if you left my post in context rather than stripping it out you would not have made the error of twisting the meaning.

Your comparison with speed cameras is specious. There is evidence of an offence with a speed camera.

This proposed change in law would result in people who have committed no offence being presumed guilty of one.

You don't think educating drivers works, I don't the mooted change in law would work. Opinions.

retrocomeback wrote:
The ironic things about cycle lanes and motorists misguided insistence we should use them (because it suits their nonsensical road tax argument) is the overwhelming majority do not comply with the Department For Transport own specifications in size or markings, they are often in a dangerous state of disrepair with little or no maintenance by the appropriate authorities, and the national guidelines from bikeability are that if you are cycling at over 15mph then you should be in the main carriageway of the road anyway! We as cyclists are damned if we do and damned if we don't.


I agree completely.

Have you cycled in countries where there are distinct through ways for cyclists? It is quite a revelation when you can relax and cycle with total separation from polluting vehicles. I am not suggesting for one minute that where that is impractical to provide cyclists should be corralled into dangerously designed or unkempt cycle ways. I am aware of the research showing the dangers of separating then mixing cycles with mainstream traffic repeatedly.

My hope is for removing cars, etc, from large swathes of the inner city, and the provision of totally distinct cycle highways for commuting, extra urban journeys, etc.

I am not campaigning to remove the rights of cyclists to merge where necessary, merely desirous of seeing an alternative for those of us who would prefer to cycle without the spectre of that one in ten drivers who would rather flick to track thirteen of their iPod pop mix than look at the road ahead.

I would rather they encounter a bus or lorry as a wake up call than knock a cyclist over fatally.

So sue me!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:34 am
Posts: 5663
Location: Don't mess with monkeys, man
highlandsflyer wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:
I don't think people with entrenched views are going to take a blind bit of notice to the possibility of being presumed at fault if they hit a cyclist.

Too late for the cyclist in many cases.


Neil, if you left my post in context rather than stripping it out you would not have made the error of twisting the meaning.

Your comparison with speed cameras is specious. There is evidence of an offence with a speed camera.

This proposed change in law would result in people who have committed no offence being presumed guilty of one.


I disagree - the analogy isn't specious at all, in the speed camera scenario, the RK will be assumed guilty by default. If he / she genuinely can't remember, or truly doesn’t know, who's driving, then they'll have to make a credible argument to a magistrate to reverse the assumption that they're just keeping schtum.

In the proposed scenario, the vehicle driver will be, by default, assumed to be liable / negligent - but not necessarily guilty of some criminal offence.

highlandsflyer wrote:
You don't think educating drivers works, I don't the mooted change in law would work. Opinions.


The reasoning behind my opinion is based on how in fairly recent times ingrained attitudes on things like drink-driving and speeding have changed in response to how they're dealt with and marketed.

A year or two back when I first read of such a notion, I hated the idea, I thought it abhorrent. But in the interim I've read, watched and listened, to the media, people in general public I encounter, and I've concluded that something needs to be done to address the rot, ignorance and arrogance in many drivers regarding cyclists as traffic.

And it's not like I'm 100% behind it - I do have some misgivings, but all the same, something has to be done to contextualise ego with risk to life and limb, and whilst education is the normal mantra, it ain't gonna cut it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:12 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:33 pm
Posts: 11106
Location: The Home Of Mountain Biking, And All Great Things.
How about plain clothed officers on cycles pulling drivers over for inappropriate driving?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:57 pm
Posts: 4074
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
highlandsflyer wrote:
How about plain clothed officers on cycles pulling drivers over for inappropriate driving?


Good idea. I still have my blue headlights somewhere. Always fun when I put them both on a bike and then put them on flashing mode.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: oof
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: Wales
In essence, I agree with this.

A cyclist is a human on a bike. At the moment, drivers can drive past them at 60mph, with inches to spare and no consideration of the potential consequences.

Such liability proposals would surely make them think twice about such ridiculous behaviour.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:52 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Posts: 2574
Location: The Cock Inn, Tillett, Herts
Officers in plain clothes don't have the power to pull a vehicle. Thy have to be in uniform to have that power, though they can be in an unmarked vehicle.

Unfortunately, I suspect a fully uniformed Bobby on an unmarked Marin might still be noticed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:56 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Bournemouth
I'm sure drivers wouldn't spot they were coppers if they were on bicycles. Speaking of which, we have a bobby on a bike round here. Why is the bike so poor, and poorly maintained?

But then we know the police are as bad as the pubic with cyclists



Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:03 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 2362
Location: Bournemouth
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group