Child seat question.....inc Hamex

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Thinking of getting a child seat for either my wifes bike or mine.......now i used to sell Hamex, and recall if your f.mech cable stop was on the seat tube, there sometimes wasn't enough room to fit the clamp...........could anyone tell me how much free tube i would need above my cable stop to fit one without issue.........as i can't remember... :D both our bike are top pull !

Haven't got it to hand, but the clamp is about 4in tall from memory. I've got it mounted as low down as possible so it's actually below the cable stop -- the cable happily goes around the outside.

ah cheers i think i'm remembering now it was ok to clamp below the cable, but some stops were futher round the seat tube making it catch on some bikes......

I'm not sure on the Hamex seat but for my little man I use an I-Bert seat or safe T seat as its sometimes called. Mounts to the steerer. Very solid and quick to fit. My little man loves it.
Heres a couple of pics on the Pugsley but it pretty much fits anything with at least an inch or so of stem space to mount it on.
If your interested I can send a pic of the bits unmounted.
Jamie

Depends where you're riding a bit, trailers can be a PITA through the motorbike barriers/gates you sometimes get on cycleways. Front-mounted seats don't affect handling much, the extra weight's not far from your own centre of gravity. Rear ones are definitely a bit top-heavy and wobbly, although carrying some stuff in a basket up front as well balances it out a bit :)

Or a tandem, tandems are cool :)

Jamiedyer":7j79uhaz said:

he looks very comfy in that seat i must say!
i have another child due soon, so would a seat out back and one of those up front be daft? i'm thinking yes.......(before i get hammered for thinking irresponsibly! :p )

Back