Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:23 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:11 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

This is what I expected from a jovial retro bike forum, not what I consider to be slightly aggressive exchanges of views of a political nature. Some of the exchanges I've viewed on all matters pertaining to mrs T are a little near the Mark. (Geddit?)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 22.94 KiB | Viewed 76 times ]

Last edited by The History Man on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm 
Retro Guru

highlandsflyer wrote:
I cannot think of anything less appropriate to hang Thatcher's name from than a hospital.

maybe a coal mine....or the Argentinian Embassy?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:34 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

technodup wrote:
But let's not let facts get in the way of some Tory bashing.

From a marketing standpoint any fuss over Thatcher only serves to remind Tories how poor this shower are in comparison. If marketing is essentially the process of finding customers then this is anti marketing.

Facts - or anything else for that matter - should ever get in the way of Tory bashing. They made their bed and are getting what they deserve, by your own logic.

Anyway - you're only 35 and therefore 10 years too young to have a valid opinion about her time in office. I'm 44 and only just qualify by nature of growing up in South Yorkshire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:38 pm 
Old School Grand Master

grumpycommuter wrote:
highlandsflyer wrote:
I cannot think of anything less appropriate to hang Thatcher's name from than a hospital.

maybe a coal mine....or the Argentinian Embassy?

Excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:49 pm 
Old School Grand Master

dbmtb wrote:
technodup wrote:

From a marketing standpoint any fuss over Thatcher only serves to remind Tories how poor this shower are in comparison. If marketing is essentially the process of finding customers then this is anti marketing.

Facts - or anything else for that matter - should ever get in the way of Tory bashing. They made their bed and are getting what they deserve, by your own logic.

Anyway - you're only 35 and therefore 10 years too young to have a valid opinion about her time in office. I'm 44 and only just qualify by nature of growing up in South Yorkshire.

Mmmhhhh.

Plenty of younger people have every right to an opinion. Certainly those who grew up in Thatcher's Britain.

I lived with the Peace Convoy part time during the early eighties and was all around Britain during the Miners' Strikes, etc. I then went into the NHS as it was being torn apart. I am 45 and reckon I have a well rounded view of the whole Thatcher era.

I won't be laughing tomorrow.

Whatever she did in life, she is now a sacred cow.

I may tramp the dirt down, but it is on the memory of all that went on, not on the grave of an elderly lady. Like all of us, she was born innocent and died in the same manner so many of our family die. It is not a tragedy, she was a good age and had a productive life in her eyes and those around her.

RIP Maggie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:04 pm 
Retro Guru

highlandsflyer wrote:
dbmtb wrote:
technodup wrote:

Mmmhhhh.

Plenty of younger people have every right to an opinion. Certainly those who grew up in Thatcher's Britain.

I lived with the Peace Convoy part time during the early eighties and was all around Britain during the Miners' Strikes, etc. I then went into the NHS as it was being torn apart. I am 45 and reckon I have a well rounded view of the whole Thatcher era.

Whatever she did in life, she is now a sacred cow.

I may tramp the dirt down, but it is on the memory of all that went on, not on the grave of an elderly lady. Like all of us, she was born innocent and died in the same manner so many of our family die. It is not a tragedy, she was a good age and had a productive life in her eyes and those around her.

RIP Maggie.

Nicely summed up....someone lock the thread now!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:05 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

highlandsflyer wrote:

I'm just winding him up to watch him go. :twisted: I miss Marin Man sometimes.

highlandsflyer wrote:

Nor me. That would just be bad taste.

highlandsflyer wrote:
not on the grave of an elderly lady. Like all of us, she was born innocent and died in the same manner so many of our family die. It is not a tragedy, she was a good age and had a productive life in her eyes and those around her.

Yes. This. But in private please. Whoever's idea it was (and I don't really care TBH) this whole palaver was very badly thought-out.

highlandsflyer wrote:
RIP Maggie.

RIP anyone else who's dead too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master

dbmtb wrote:
RIP anyone else who's dead too.

That goes without saying for me. There was some doubt about Maggie being allowed to rest though.

Sod Thatcher though, that public persona and political animal I certainly won't give a pass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:00 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I just got 2 Emmylou Harris tickets and am now in oblivious mode.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:44 am 
Old School Grand Master

Love her!

Why did she take so long to start writing?

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next