Anyone any good at metal working? I need some parts making!

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
First of all, I wasn't sure if off topic was the best place to ask so if anyone thinks I might get a better response in another section then please let me know!

I need a couple of relatively simple metal parts making. More exactly, two of the "triangles" from shimano 600 AX road brakes, like the one in the pic below. I have two, so have got something to take measurements and work from, but don't have the skill or tools to go about making something similar myself.

Can anyone help, either by being able to do it (for beer tokens or equivalent!), or putting me in touch with someone who could?

Thanks, Andy

Attachments

• DSCN0060.JPG
    DSCN0060.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 229
Re: Anyone any good at metal working? I need some parts mak

I could possibly do them.
pm me with more info.

They're steel, I'm not sure if they're chromed or stainless, but more likely to be chromed I think. They appear to have been cut and stamped from a sheet, They're not totally flat, and the shape of them makes me think they're stamped rather than forged or cast in that shape.

I don't think it would be necessary to make them the exact same way - they could probably be made by either cutting and shaping a suitable sheet of steel, which would then need chroming or painting, or maybe CNC'd from aluminium?

thanks!

Andy

I was thinking casting them from aluminium.

I would offer, but I don't have the facilities to melt the alu at the moment.

What are they actually for?

I think casting them might be more complicated than necessary...

They're the triangle wedges that go in shimano 600 AX brakes, like these: http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 9&Enum=117

A cable clamp bolt goes through the round hole, to clamp the cable. When the lever is pulled, the wedge is pulled upwards, pushing the upper ends of the arms outwards, and the lower end (with the pads) inwards towards the rim. So they need to be fairly strong and stiff I think.

Thanks!

Back