Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:59 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:15 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

yagamuffin wrote:
Oh, and I'm 34. Some may think I'm not old enough to have an opinion but being born in 1978 I have very strong memories of growing up with hate fuelled images filling the TV news every tea-time. Images of our troops dressed as Police being sent in to battle against the people will stick with me forever.

Fixed that for you

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:00 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

yagamuffin wrote:
If we still had an economy based on mining and manufacturing we could be out of this recession by now, as it is we need to wait for the next Labour government to make some capital investment before we can start to see any green shoots.

Really???

They had 13 years to do that and managed to plunge us into enormous debt instead, I'm amazed the supposed working class still stick by them, thinking they will somehow wave a magic wand and make everything better. They won't because they can't.

Going OT now but you can pretty much forget getting any of the golden days of mining and manufacture back when it is so much cheaper to import stuff. Nothing to do with politics just logistics and business.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:47 pm 
Retro Guru

rosstheboss wrote:
yagamuffin wrote:
If we still had an economy based on mining and manufacturing we could be out of this recession by now, as it is we need to wait for the next Labour government to make some capital investment before we can start to see any green shoots.

Really???

They had 13 years to do that and managed to plunge us into enormous debt instead, I'm amazed the supposed working class still stick by them, thinking they will somehow wave a magic wand and make everything better. They won't because they can't.

Going OT now but you can pretty much forget getting any of the golden days of mining and manufacture back when it is so much cheaper to import stuff. Nothing to do with politics just logistics and business.

Without anything to export the only other way we have of getting the economy moving again is capital investment. The Tories have made it clear they have no interest in this so we have to hope that the next Labour government do...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

yagamuffin wrote:
rosstheboss wrote:
yagamuffin wrote:

Really???

Without anything to export the only other way we have of getting the economy moving again is capital investment. The Tories have made it clear they have no interest in this so we have to hope that the next Labour government do...

Won't happen. They are the Tory party with a red tie. It will be down to us to get the country going again

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:17 pm 
Old School Grand Master

rosstheboss wrote:
forget getting any of the golden days of mining and manufacture back when it is so much cheaper to import stuff. Nothing to do with politics just logistics and business.

That would explain why they are making steel again?

Once you knock the wind out a populous you can start making money out of them again.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:49 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Not at anything like the same scale, and for a foreign company too, I presume its Tata you are referring to?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:06 am 
Old School Grand Master

If we had modernised rather than closed down, like the Germans, French and Italians, there is no reason we could not be competitive today.

I did not know Thatcher personally, there is no way I could hate her. My dad met her and found her very pleasant. Let us not forget this was a hate of a concept, not a human being.

Of course it is sad when a person passes on, she was just a human.

Let us move on indeed, and see our way forward with love and peace.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:15 am 
Old School Grand Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:30 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

highlandsflyer wrote:
If we had modernised rather than closed down, like the Germans, French and Italians, there is no reason we could not be competitive today.

I hardly think the French and particularly the Italians are good examples of thriving post-recession economies...

This thread like every other thread/posting I've read over the last 2 days serves to prove one thing and one thing only. That EVERYONE now knows Godwin's law - as nobody has mentioned that which must not be mentioned. (I don't think I did as I didn't refer to it for argumental purposes - but I may have lost the discussion anyway)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Well if I was talking about economies as a whole; rather than pointing to Italy's shipbuilding, or France's car manufacturing...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next