Why did everyone hate thatcher?

Let's put it this way;

"Thatcher, Thatcher,
School milk snatcher"

was one of the nicer things said about her....

Be interesting if anyone who comments on this thread can also post their age.

Thatcher left office in 1990 so you'd have to be 41 at least now to have been able to vote for her (or not) or really have been affected by her leadership.

Russell":1f1jza4y said:
Be interesting if anyone who comments on this thread can also post their age.

Thatcher left office in 1990 so you'd have to be 41 at least now to have been able to vote for her (or not) or really have been affected by her leadership.

Anyone who pays an electricity bill or travels by train has experience of Thatcher and her legacy. I'm 38 so remember her time clearly but paying these bills, having had to use the train for commuting and having worked for Network Rail too I have a decent insight.
I don't agree with the privatisation of certain public services at all but I do respect her conviction and think it's something needed today to sort this country out.

Carl.

I'm 47, I left school at the height of Thatcherism. Straight onto the dole as many others did.

And I'm also Scottish, her government was kind enough to give us the poll tax a year earlier than the rest of the UK. The guinea pigs for an unfair system.

al":dhcqqfx1 said:
Because she was a vile cow!!

Although Neil Harding has 20 more for you...

http://neilharding.blogspot.co.uk/2005/ ... tcher.html

al.

Re. the whole milk business; the notoriety does seem to be over-stated at times - this apparently only applied to schoolkids over 7*, and in any case the Wilson administration had already ceased free milk for secondary schools back in the 60s.

I only mention that by way of clarification rather than standing on any kind of soapbox (Thatcher's demise leaves me fairly indifferent despite my lack of Right-leaning political outlook).

David

*I have distinct memories of milk being available right the way through my own primary education (I'm 37). Was it one of these things that depended on the individual LEA or a nationwide matter?

Latest posts

Back