Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:31 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:54 am 
South West Deputy AEC
South West Deputy AEC

Just a little rant, but I'm starting to get annoyed with getting really low offers on for sale bits from either new or newish members.
A cheeky little offer - say £10 less on a £100 item is fine. But hoping I'll knock off 40-50% of the price is a bit rich.
Best recently was a total numpty in the bmx section asking for loads of photos, details, etc. and then feigning ignorance of the price (which was on the original post) and offering me literally pence. When I said no he told me to try ebay, and if I did he'd have a go there. To add to the annoyance all his emails were in text speak :facepalm:

Anyway, deep breath.....and relax.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 pm 
Geoff Capes

Being as you mentioned it..

I've not been on here long and I don't contribute a great deal on Rb but that aside..
I have noticed a general lack of courtesy from some (which is common everywhere). I don't think it's unreasonable for some one to say a simple 'Thank you' for sending more pictures and responding with a simple Yes or No as to whether or not they want an item..
Taking it beyond courtesy and into a kind of psychology, it surprises me that some don't even attempt to haggle after asking for a price despite obviously thinking it's too high because they say NOTHING back, again that includes 'No Thanks'

Rude. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:17 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Same here, I'll usually take a bid that's 10% lower than my asking price. However once they pass the 25% marker, there's one standard reply : "If you can't afford it, stop wasting my time".

As rude as it may seem, IMO it's the most efficient way to deal with these kinds of people.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:25 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

ajantom wrote:
Just a little rant, but I'm starting to get annoyed with getting really low offers on for sale bits from either new or newish members.
A cheeky little offer - say £10 less on a £100 item is fine. But hoping I'll knock off 40-50% of the price is a bit rich.
Best recently was a total numpty in the bmx section asking for loads of photos, details, etc. and then feigning ignorance of the price (which was on the original post) and offering me literally pence. When I said no he told me to try ebay, and if I did he'd have a go there. To add to the annoyance all his emails were in text speak :facepalm:

Anyway, deep breath.....and relax.

Text speak really needs wiping off the face of the earth.

I think that'd be enough for me to picture them in crosshairs and refuse any sort of deal on principle.

What would Walter Sobchak do, is my normal thought process, and in most scenarios involves "a world of pain".

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Neil wrote:
ajantom wrote:
What would Walter Sobchak do, is my normal thought process, and in most scenarios involves "a world of pain".

Like this! I had a chap a while ago ask me if some bars are still for sale. I responded with a courteous email (appreciating that from his point of view the way I behave is equal to customer service in a shop). Then nothing. Not even a PM saying he wasnt interested after all.

Manners cost nothing, people! :x

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm 
Retro Guru

Whatleymeister wrote:
Neil wrote:
ajantom wrote:

Like this! I had a chap a while ago ask me if some bars are still for sale. I responded with a courteous email (appreciating that from his point of view the way I behave is equal to customer service in a shop). Then nothing. Not even a PM saying he wasnt interested after all.

Manners cost nothing, people! :x

Wasnt me was it :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:57 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Quote:
I responded with a courteous email (appreciating that from his point of view the way I behave is equal to customer service in a shop).

Oh the experience of running a retail business. I once had a customer accuse me of lying about someone's sudden death in a tragic accident as a ruse to explain a late delivery... ! :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

ajantom wrote:
offering me literally pence...

They actually offered you less than a pound?

Rude.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

I'll offer 40p for the next reply.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Glady accepted. I'll PM PayPal details :wink: