Bike storage

Kona lover

Retro Guru
Hi all

I've talked the wife into buying a new shed/workshop for the garden.
I'm thinking 15' x 8'
Any recommendations ?
I'm thinking wooden, with a door on the narrow side.

What you guys/girls use? Any setup pics?

Cheers

Matt

First off, a narrow side is an end.

Wood yes.

Want something nice to look at? Use shingles for the roof, or turf with summer meadow flowers.

Build a plinth large enough to give you some space outside to work on shite and BBQ if you don't already have such an area.

Think about having a side door as well as an end door.

If you construct using large corner posts, 100 x 100 say set in concrete you can make the whole 'end' a door/doors with a smaller access door integrated into one of them.

The thing that goes on most sheds in my experience is the floor. Even if you're buying a kit i'd recommend not using their floor, if its not going to be concrete then make sure its very substantial, solid wood; blue pallets are ideal and can be cut to size.

Yeah I'm going to concrete underneath for the base to sit on.
Thinking door in thin end with windows facing to sun.

I am thinking of pallets set at 45 degrees to sit back wheels of my bikes.
Work top underneath windows with storage/tools. Far end of shed to have an area set aside for spraying/touch ups and bike stand where work top finishes.

Anyone recommend a good shed company?

If you can build a bike you can easily build a shed!

Discovery Channel or such had a whole series dedicated to this.

You will get much more than you would pay for doing it yourself.

I would use as much 'glass' as you can get away with, even consider up to fifty percent of the roof in poly. Nothing beats natural light.

Seeing as you are going with a concrete plinth I would say you could safely build in stages, stage two being the exterior.

We did this recently after an old shed collapsed, needing something up fast for garaging atvs, etc.

We bolted post holders into the concrete and had a frame up in a day, skinned and sealed by half way through the second.

Intention to insulate and fit out fully before the winter but it is pretty tight already and things haven't got that bad weather wise this year.

It really is piss easy to build a shed, and you can get everything delivered, usually free, by a wood yard.

Then again, you can get a firm to come in and do it, if you post your location I am sure you might get some recommendations.

:)

^^^^ I've built a shed before, just really busy at work so thought just buy one.

However been chatting to the wife and I think I've talked her into buying me a table saw :LOL:

So now thinking pallet shed for the walls with some nice wood on the outside. Apex roof which I'll shingle (the small felt type tiles). Next door neighbour has upvc window in his garden may try and reclaim it lol
Using pallets for internal wall will allow me to store my bikes back wheels in bike rack style.

highlandsflyer":1tdeynwe said:
If you can build a bike you can easily build a shed!

Discovery Channel or such had a whole series dedicated to this.

You will get much more than you would pay for doing it yourself.

I would use as much 'glass' as you can get away with, even consider up to fifty percent of the roof in poly. Nothing beats natural light.

Seeing as you are going with a concrete plinth I would say you could safely build in stages, stage two being the exterior.

We did this recently after an old shed collapsed, needing something up fast for garaging atvs, etc.

We bolted post holders into the concrete and had a frame up in a day, skinned and sealed by half way through the second.

Intention to insulate and fit out fully before the winter but it is pretty tight already and things haven't got that bad weather wise this year.

It really is piss easy to build a shed, and you can get everything delivered, usually free, by a wood yard.

Then again, you can get a firm to come in and do it, if you post your location I am sure you might get some recommendations.

:)
hmm... I too am in the market for a new shed, poly roofing, natural light, post mounts that sounds like a plan. thanks highlandsflyer

When pouring the concrete, remember to set some big steel loops / rings into it. It gives something solid to lock bikes onto.

Back