What not so modernish petrol estate car?

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Seems to be at least 4 hours since the latest car thread, so thought I'd set one up.

Thinking of getting a new motor and chopping in the old diesel shooting brake. As such looking for a newish (5 or 6 years old) estate of a mondeo or similar size but probably petrol. Given the limited miles the car does (8-10K a year) don't reckon diesel makes sense, esp with the potential (which we have realized with our current dream machine) for big bills. Fancy something with a little go which rules out the standard 1.6 / 1.8 / 2.0 NA offerings.

Current front runner is a Mk4 Mondeo 2.5T. Within budget and shouldn't be too bad to run (fuel excepted).

Long shot outsider is a e61 BMW 525i / 530i, more costly and likely to cost far more in servicing. Would almost certainly need to factor in a warranty with this one.

Any other obvious suggestions I'm missing? Have so far ruled out

Honda Accord 2.4 - the new model seems rare / non-existent. Loathe to go with an older one.
Vaxhall Insignia - Only thing suitable would be the XVR which seems much too lairy.
Audi A6 - Guess there are a couple of engines in this line suitable, again slightly concerned with potential running costs, seem to be the odd issue with the FSI engines
VW Passat - As above.
Saab 9-5 - Would be right at the end of the model run, older model?
Subaru Legacy - Again would be buying an older model, not sure on needing 4x4 with complexity.
Volvo V70 - Again would end up getting the previous version.

Re: What modernish petrol estate car?

Silly question... what's the problem with getting a slightly older model? Just wondering as I personally think there's an advantage in waiting to see which faults commonly develop over the first five years or so of a model's life - letting other people do the beta-testing as it were.

Of your reject list I like the V70 but only the Phase 1 model which is definitely not on your radar! I was quite impressed with the 04 plate 2.4l petrol Accord I helped my brother choose a few months ago - the interior is vastly better than any that went before and it's OK to drive too. That was a saloon, but I'm sure the estate's not much different.

ajm":3oz2zav5 said:
Silly question... what's the problem with getting a slightly older model? Just wondering as I personally think there's an advantage in waiting to see which faults commonly develop over the first five years or so of a model's life - letting other people do the beta-testing as it were.

No problem as such, however given I'm looking at something like a mk4 mondeo seems sensible to look at comparable models from other manufacturers. After 5 or 6 years most faults will be apparent.

Have thought about getting something older and more interesting, e.g. a 760 or previous 530. However the car has to primarily a thing of utility and already own something older and vaguely interesting (to me at least ;) .

Anyhow, might have to look at an Accord.

One of my neighbours has an Accord, very nice car. Can't got wrong with the Ford though, that model is quick and huge!

2 litre Mundano petrol estate. Officially the most reliable used car in the 3 to 7 year age bracket, and cheap as chips to mend if they do brake.

None of the cars on your list are sought for their driving dynamics, so you may as well go for the toughest.

I've had several V70s of different generations and an Accord, and apart from a bit of childish badge snobbery (not from me) bring nothing to the table that the Mondieu doesn't for a lot less wedge.

I think the best handling out of that lot would be the Ford. Well known for being the best of its class. The 2.5 engine is ace, I think the ST models look different enough without being too boy-racer. Comfortable and loads of kits and parts won't be expensive.
A lot of them seem to be very well looked after, I can't remember seeing a shabby one, all seem to be shiny and polished.
I would probably avoid one which has had a towbar fitted but otherwise there isn't any reason to choose the others in my book.

The Mondeo drives brilliantly. I would seriously consider one when we sell the S Max, now that we have the Pajeros for picnics, camping and messy stuff. Tend to use the S-Max for long distance commuting and moving people around.

if you want to have some money left for bicycles then there are some quite fast petrol turbo skoda estates.

The 5cyl 2.5T Volvo engine (in the mondeo, focus ST etc) is a lovely, but very thirsty beast!

The beemers are really motorway cars, our 330i (6.5s to 60 in the book), doesn't really get into it's stride until three figures, 100-140 (Kmh officer) is shockingly dispensed!

what you doing with the Mondeo? :oops:

Latest posts

Back