Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: what class are you?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Whatleymeister wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:
Hell, I once owned a Vauxhall Cavalier and it as a CD model no less. Proof if ever it were needed that I'm next in line for the throne.

Really?

Me though, I am "Emergent service workers" apparently. What the hell does that even mean?!

Same category for me too. Sounds similar to "emergency service worker" except my "uniform" (stained lab coat and safety specs) isn't as likely to woo the ladies....

David

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:01 pm 
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC
Lincs, East and South Yorks Deputy AEC

established middle class...........whatever that means lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:06 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Chopper1192 wrote:
Whatleymeister wrote:
Chopper1192 wrote:
Hell, I once owned a Vauxhall Cavalier and it as a CD model no less. Proof if ever it were needed that I'm next in line for the throne.

Really?

Me though, I am "Emergent service workers" apparently. What the hell does that even mean?!

That my old car! What have they done to poor old Norman?!

It's the windscreen sunstrip isn't it? I knew that was a step too far.

The thing on the website tells me I'm technical middle class, apparently - which I know is absolute bollocks, as I know my place! I'm truly working class scum.

I wonder if this is related to something I listened to on Radio 4 (least I think it was), contending that in refutation to the whole irrelevance of class system that's become the trendy, post-Tony-Blair-ism, whilst the more traditional views or definitions about social classes may seem anachronistic, that it's more about what people do with their money and lifestyle choices, rather than pure background, education, occupation, legacy and aspiration.

ie the boundaries / distinctions were still there, just based on different criteria than they were in past times.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:40 pm 
Retro Guru

unkleGsif wrote:
I work... therefore Working Class, irrespective of my earnings, hobbies, pastimes, interests, or how often I go to the fecking pictures!
Only the idle rich are not working class, and they should be devided into 2 groups... Historic Inheritance Class and Tasteless Modern Inheritance Class

A pointless excericse in time and money wasting

The Queen works, but she's hardly working class. Me thinks you take the naming of the categories too literally.

Conversely, variously Totals have been in financial schtick over the years, even made bankrupt, but hardest suddenly make them scumbag class's.

I'm not really into this add thing at all, viewing it as an anachronistic Victorian hangover from when the colonialism and dung shovellers knew their place. It take little account of breeding, outlook, intelligence, education, or 101 other subtle indicators that define ones place in the World.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:29 pm 
Retro Guru

Neil wrote:
It's the windscreen sunstrip isn't it? I knew that was a step too far.

The thing on the website tells me I'm technical middle class, apparently - which I know is absolute bollocks, as I know my place! I'm truly working class scum.

I wonder if this is related to something I listened to on Radio 4 (least I think it was), contending that in refutation to the whole irrelevance of class system that's become the trendy, post-Tony-Blair-ism, whilst the more traditional views or definitions about social classes may seem anachronistic, that it's more about what people do with their money and lifestyle choices, rather than pure background, education, occupation, legacy and aspiration.

ie the boundaries / distinctions were still there, just based on different criteria than they were in past times.

I have only ever met one person in my life who would claim to be working class who was capable of articulating a response in such a manner. I'm afraid given the quality of language and structure of the above there is no way that anyone is ever likely to describe you as working class.

Now I'm not saying that one can't be intelligent, articulate, cultured and working class, but the things rarely go together in the modern interpretation of the classes (benefit/working/middle/upper)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:24 pm 
Retro Guru

I wouldn't trust the BBC to tell me what species I am, let alone what class I am. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 pm 
Retro Guru

I'm total class, innit bruv!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I'm in a class of my own. Like this guy really :

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:49 am 
Retro Guru

I'm Superior Class...

actually got emergent service workers as "financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors" except I have low social and cultural factors as I just don't do that sort of thing and bucket loads of cash in the bank

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:29 pm 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

I don't get this because all the people I know, which is not that many and the job my husband does as well as his education and everything else we are middle clashish but when you put in you rent we become scum class. If you put the queen in a semi is she scum class? I'm not aristocracy but is owning your home all that important. Prices are so high. We almost bought and I chickened out in case dom was made redundant this happened. Glad I rent now so much cheaper as house prices rose so I suppose I'll always be scum class.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next