The rescue collie 6 months on update 18.11.2013

spike3

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Ok, so this afternoon i rescued a Welsh border collie from a terraced house in the middle of town that was an absolute dive, owner wanted it gone before tonight as she was going away and he was no longer cute :evil: .

Anyway i placed him in a dog cage for traveling in my car and now he won't leave it, his ears were slicked back against his head when I picked him up there now in a normal position and he gave a ting wag of his tail earlier in her cage.

Cage is in the corner of my lounge and there's a treat just outside his door. Any ideas on how to tempt him out.

Update see page 9

Re: Dog guys a bit of advice

Leave the door open and he will come out when he is ready.
he feels secure in there so even when he comes out you should leave it there and open for him to use as and when he wants to.
If you google 'crate training' you should find some good info.

Good luck and good on ya.

tried a lead, clip it on and be backs up like i'm threatening him. we'll just let him be I think, door is open

Best to leave him be while he adjusts to you and his new surroundings, this could take a while. Place some newspaper or puppy training pads outside the cage and by the backdoor to get him going in the right direction.

Very smart dogs are Collie's. If he's young will need lots of exercise and attention.

He's been abused...the key signs are ears back and cowering away..don't worry though this can be easily rectified as it sounds as though the owner didn't have the love or patience for the dog that you obviously have

Patience and allowing him to find some things himself and establishing a routine for the other parts ..it will get better and easier..for now just go with the flow

if going to stroke the dog don't do it with a hand high but more like a low bowl, no sudden movements towards them..try not to shout at them..you can still be firm without volume

as said..collies are smart dogs and it will suss quite quickly your one of the good guys

My parents dog was just the same when we got him stayed in the cage we brought him home in...he was a 1yr old mongrel and already had belt buckle scars on his back...the first night I slept in the same room as him and the following morning I awoke to find him cuddled into me. He hid under tables and chairs for a good few weeks as it seemed he was used to getting hit from above. Softly spoken words of encouragement and gentle petting really helped him. That was in 1996, he died last year and was the best dog anyone could have hoped for....

...Just give him/her some love dogs can be amazingly forgiving, and if your worried about the toilet situation newspaper outside the cage...

Doug

Hell, we fixed a crazy collie that was scared of walking and would hide under the land rover instead of go for a walk. Perfectly normal after a couple of months, lots of patience needed, but as above you need something under that cage or there's going to be a mess!! Pics!?

There is no reason to jump to conclusions about the treatment the dog has had.

There should be dog trainers in your area who can visit and assess the dog, and give sage advice.

One of my friends happens to be just the type of chap you should contact.

I fear his 45p per mile rate might see it becoming prohibitively expensive.

http://www.rewardingdogs.com/approach.htm

He actually had a TV series way back before the USA dude ever thought about it.

Back