Another road fatality

chrisv40":3v8v7gzi said:
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Racing-cyclist-killed-collision-caravan-A63/story-18556013-detail/story.html#axzz2OxdzLwUA

I thought this didn't look good when I passed the scene earlier, my thoughts go out to everyone involved but I cant help but wonder why Time Trials are run on the A63 which is the main route in and out of Hull and is always very busy :(

No more cycling deaths please! it is killing me seeing these, knowing my husband cycles 14 miles to go to work and I'm scared every day, I don't fear cycling myself but am shit scared about my husband, yet people keep posting about deaths

Oooohhh I canny cope :(

Alison

Just reading through the comments and spotted this:

“If you ride a bike on the a63 you are taking a big risk. there are learner drivers on there that do not no how to deal with cyclist when approaching them at speed, drivers on the phone and texting, the organisers of such events have a lot to answer for."

:facepalm:

That road is bad enough for Cars with all the pot holes in both lanes causing cars to swerve.
I guess that is what the 2 cars belting with sirens going past me was then.

Still it's legal for cyclist to go down there and though it is 70mph at that point it is quite a narrow section compared to the rest.

It'll only get worse as the long stretches they are redeveloping in the area are becoming dual carriage and the cycle paths they are building next to them are wide enough for one bike at speed. Only causing cyclists to ride on the road if they are doing anything more than 10mph and people don't start walking down them or ride the other way.... of course they then go and put lamposts down the edge for the road and since handlebars cannot go through them it creates regular bottlenecks for cyclists.

Anyways, back to the news, no idea if these have signs up saying there are events running ?

seen time trials up the a19 few yrs ago at 3 o clock on a sat afternoon;
thought they were bad;
shame for the rider;thoughts with his kin at this hard time.

Alas the TT mindset seems stuck in the past where traffic was light and slow. Event needs to move with the times unfortunately.

Without knowing what happened and how, it's hard to tell if the speed was a problem. Given the caravan will only be at 60, which is what cars do past you on normal country roads.

I like the way the car being a 4x4 is important in all this.

Chopper1192":u05hcg5t said:
How is time trialling any more dangerous than, say, someone using that road to cycle to work?

I travel that road to work and back 6 days a week and I havent seen more than a couple of cyclists on it in the last year simply because it is way too dangerous. The M62 crosses the north of England all the way from Manchester and suddenly and abruptly turns into the A63 wit its stupid A road laws. There have been many nasty accidents in the last few years involving tractors and other agricultural machinery too.

Unfortunately the time trialists dont always seem to hold a very steady line on the road either often veering some distance from the left kerb to avoid pot holes and drain covers etc.

A very sad and completely preventable death in my opinion, there are loads of better surfaced and much quieter, safer A roads in the area.

Back