should i stay or should i go?!! honesty required! interview!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
poss new job!

as some of you know i work in the trade, the trenches! i am the man behind the counter! sometimes this is a great place to be, other times it's the most soul destroying painful work when you feel like you are surrounded by uncompromising patronising miserable unappreciative gits!

but that is like any job where you deal with the general public these days! i'm not saying all customers are bad, most are brilliant and some have become good friends/riding buddies.

but anyway, i recieved a call from a friend who works in a nearby petrochemical plant saying a job that i threw in a cv for over a year ago has possibly come up and could i get a more current cv to his boss and have a chat with him about it.

so, do i leave the trade? :?

pro's of bike trade
1 work with bikes (high end only, no kids bikes or bmx's)
2 good mates at shop
3 mostly good customers
4 trade discount with occasional freebies
5 hours 9-5.30
6 boss is top bloke
7 boss is building me a suzuki dr350 as a bonus (k plate, that's retro!)
8 can ride to work several ways depending on route, up to 25 miles
9 ???????

con's of bike trade
1 work on bikes more than i ride
2 am mates manager, can cause issues sometimes
3 customers can be *%$£&(*)&%££"!£%^&***!!!!!!! :LOL:
4 trade discount just makes you spend more :D :shock: :(
5 boss can be frustrating!!! (but means well)
6 boss still hasn't finished dr350 and it's been 2 years!
7 when i don't ride it's horrible in the car coz of traffic
8 pay is so sh1t!
9 no really, pay is SO sh1t!
10 split weekend, i get thursday and sunday
11 it's never 9- 5.30
12 i wake up at night thinking did i order that part for mr smith? etc
13 in 2005 i worked 316 days of 365
14 only get 3 weeks (15 work days) off per year and it's never "the right time to take it"
15 ?????

new job pro's
1 starts on £27000
2 average £3000 overtime if wanted per year
3 already know lots of guys there(strangely most through riding)
4 extra £1000 a year for the internal fire service training
5 shift work 4 days off every 8 and 6 18 day periods off per year
6 yearly pay rises that are structured
7 poss chances off promotion
8 big business job security
9 will have loads more money for bike stuff
10 will beable to afford house within a year
11 loads more spare time for riding

new job con's
1 it's not what i like
2 feel like i am stitching up current boss coz he's a good bloke
3 i might hate it
4 shift work 2 days on 2 nights on 4 days off
5 12hr shifts
6 will need full on the job training (although it is what i was originally qualified for)
7 feel like i have "sold out"
8 it isn't working with bikes

please discuss, i'm off for a quick pint, be back later.

thats a tough one - why are you looking to change? what's the main reason? Is it the money? I have found in my experience when I have chased money it's gone pear-shaped as the £££ clouded my vision and when I looked at the job I had to do it just wasn't what I wanted or worth the stress it brought. More money = more stress. That's why you get paid more.

I have deliberately chosen a job that while reasonably paid, is by no means high (less than the new one you're being offered), but I enjoy it (can be boring at times but I prefer that to stressful), and allows me to switch off at 5pm and never give it a thought outside of working hours. Also get 33 days annual leave (10 years' service - NHS :D ) and can spend time with my family.

You only get one shot in life, make sure you're happy whatever you choose. Good luck whatever you do...

(PS my wife's a careers adviser - she'd say I'm talking b&ll&cks!) :LOL:

ahhh, toughy, BUT, your Pros on the 'new job' are based on
new job pro's
1 starts on £27000
2 average £3000 overtime if wanted per year
Your new job is motivated by money, which we all love, but by how much? I very much doubt that is what really motivates you....I'm guessing, but I think what you have now you are pretty much happy with? Thats a BIG bonus.
I would say, stay put!
HB

well it is and isn't about the money, my current wage offers no chance of a mortgage. living with the olds to try and save, and while they have been brilliant i'm still no nearer a deposit.

just want to beable to have my own place and not have to count pennies etc, i'm 32, should be in my own home by now, have previously rented, waste of queensheets.

my friend has been happy there for over a year in the same job as i wil be doing and he was a postie. apparently there is no stress, you get there, do the job and go home coz it's just a constant job, the department makes various forms of plastics and rubber and you can only make it at one speed, my job will be testing consistency of the "soup" to make sure it is made correctly for the design purpose.

saw your post and thought i'd comment before i left! i am off to the pub now! :D

You've got to be happy in what you do, and to me, your not 100% happy as your looking at other jobs.

But, your heart is in your current job.

Soooo, why not talk to your boss, take them to one side and have a heart to heart. Tell them what you've been offered, say you dont want to go, but your need a little extra £££ to get a house etc.

I think you answered your own question buddy.
But I would seriously consider renting for a while at the moment...we British have this 'thing' that we must own our own castle.....erm why?
The market favours renters now, build up a deposit at your new job and buy just before the housing market warms up again.
HB
:LOL: WTF do I now :LOL:

Harryburgundy":3kq6wzto said:
The market favours renters now, build up a deposit at your new job and buy just before the housing market warms up again.

(puts work estate agent hat on) I agree totally (takes work estate agent hat off)

thing is the money i could get in trade as a shop manager has a ceiling height, i could get more at another shop locally but the owner is a c*ck (and i've told him :D ) and the shop i am in at the mo is highend and once you've worked on the good stuff going backwards to the cheaper/kids stuff isn't nice. afterall i can't be promoted to owner!

unfortunately the only way i could afford a place on my wages would be to buy with someone but even then it would be a struggle and i want my own place not a shared place (unless there was a woman involved!)

i do know it could be financially better to rent at the mo but like a lot of people i haven't got a pension (again, not enough money in the pot)and was thinking, buy house and live off it in 35years! i don't think buying a house is the be all and end all but the way i saw it was if you get a deposit and buy a house the mortgage is similar to the rent you'd pay but if it's a mortgage you'll own it at the end. also if it's yours you can do what you want to it!

i suppose it's quality of life thing, sacrifice my work life for a better life outside of work, which makes sense and maybe the new job would be good, grass is greener maybe, i don't know! it definately works out as less hours overall.

i think that if i took it and hated it i could easily get back into the trade, maybe not the same shop but there's not one of my previous employers who wouldn't have me back which is a good safety net.

meeting the guy on sunday evening so i'll have to wait and see, thanks for the discussion board! :D

Take the job. With your talent, you have nothing to lose. It is also a chance to broaden your skil pool. The future holds bright for the highly skilled and highly trained.

You may come to love this new job. And you are right, you can always go back, but maybe as owner of a cycle shop using the extra cash you made.

Latest posts

Back