Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:27 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: I am sick of.....
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am 
Karma Queen / Cake Meisterin

The problem with British summers is they are cold and my hubbie refuses to light fires in the summer so it's cold in the house too :( So I have my hopes up for a better one this year

Alison

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 am 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

Under the duvet listening to the wind howling down the valley. Ride every other day for last 2 weeks as off work with new bike. It's spring apparently. I WILL ride today........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:15 am 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Isaac_AG wrote:
The problem with British summers is they are cold and my hubbie refuses to light fires in the summer so it's cold in the house too :( So I have my hopes up for a better one this year.

Thinking about trading him in for something more compliant?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

I hear you Rob, this weather is pish. More the constant wet / cold / gray days than warmth as such, nice sunny crisp day is quite pleasant.

@FMJ - looks cold.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:10 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Looks quite nice and bright here in Winchester today after a dismal evening of it chucking it down last night. I suspect outside it's still a bit parky though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kIrUZ_ZrzA

No, not that Parky. My mistake. :oops:

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

David B wrote:
Looks quite nice and bright here in Winchester today after a dismal evening of it chucking it down last night. I suspect outside it's still a bit parky though.

David

I'd assumed you'd link to this video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrg_VCPgAQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

You should try teaching kitesurfing in the winter. Chest deep in Poole harbour, with your face being torn off with wind and snow. That's bracing. Good fun though.

Although I was in Malaysia for Christmas just gone, I normally take a stroll along Bournemouth beach on Christmas day. Play a great game of spot the Christmas present

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
John wrote:
David B wrote:

David

I'd assumed you'd link to this video > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqrg_VCPgAQ

Still waiting for Michael Sheen to do a film version of this off the back of Frost/Nixon's success. ;)

David

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:49 pm 

My husband decided to go the back route home from work yesterday and arrived back knee deep in mud, had to put cardboard down on the front room carpet for the bike, a cleaning job for me today :)hopefully he'll stay off that route till it dries out a bit, he had fun though

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:12 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Pyro Tim wrote:
You should try teaching kitesurfing in the winter. Chest deep in Poole harbour, with your face being torn off with wind and snow. That's bracing. Good fun though.

Although I was in Malaysia for Christmas just gone, I normally take a stroll along Bournemouth beach on Christmas day. Play a great game of spot the Christmas present

Pah! Surf Scotland's North coast in the ice and snow and you will learn about bracing!

I think most people have gone soft over the last thirty years. Most have well insulated homes and comprehensive central heating. Fewer and fewer work outdoors or go anywhere in anything but an enclosed vehicle when the winter is in. I used to drive around feeding our animals on a cab-less Fergie when we had a couple of feet of snow and power cuts, for days and weeks at a time. When I had spare time I was out walking, skiing, canoeing or surfing with mates, not sat on a PC or Playstation like the bairns today.

It is always weird getting off a plane into the heat after an air conditioned trip from a colder climate. I left Holland in -6 and climbed off a jet in Asia at 40+ not long ago and on walking to my cab a huge golden dragonfly hovered in front of me. Having been drinking the entire flight it felt like a scene from a Hunter S. Thompson book.

I don't mind the weather right now, some snow on the hills here in the Highlands and some rain on the lower ground. Enough sunny intervals if you can choose your moments.

I prefer clearly defined seasons though, and we seem to be getting less of these.

Time for a move indeed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next