Coffee, tea or other hot beverage

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I had to cut out drinking coffee due to the fact I consumed far too much for my health, and I mean a lot at least 2ltrs of fresh coffee a day.
Never really got into tea, it is the combination of tea and milk and my stomach has never enjoyed it.
So have ended up drinking yerba mate (ilex paraguensis) , a south american 'tea' still has a form of caffeine but doesn't ruin my body and apparently is quite good for you.
So who else has forsaken tea and coffee for an alternative hot beverage?

Mulled wine or beer left by the burner.

The old trout drinks ginger tea. Partial to green tea myself, of course no milk involved.

joe careless":2ris7ur8 said:
I had to cut out drinking coffee due to the fact I consumed far too much for my health, and I mean a lot at least 2ltrs of fresh coffee a day.
Never really got into tea, it is the combination of tea and milk and my stomach has never enjoyed it.
So have ended up drinking yerba mate (ilex paraguensis) , a south american 'tea' still has a form of caffeine but doesn't ruin my body and apparently is quite good for you.
So who else has forsaken tea and coffee for an alternative hot beverage?

I'm quite partial to Bovril/Oxo on really cold days, bit overboard on the salt content though so best enjoyed in moderation. Hot blackcurrant cordial is another good one for the worst moments of winter.

David

yerba mate, apparently is pretty addictive., also if you get traditional gord to drink it from it looks like you smoking a bong. theres a bit of a nack to making it in the gord though. chimarrão in brazil

A few years ago, I had a full-on coffee/caffeine 'problem' - I'd make it like treacle, at least 1 large mug every hour (plus 2 cans of Red Bull in the afternoon). I decided to go 'cold turkey' and just have the one mug first thing, then drink water (with maybe one or two teas) for the rest of the day. Weirdly, although I was practically asleep for the first few days, after a week I was actually a LOT more alert, energised and invigorated than I was with my regular stim hits.

I find that now, 'proper' teas (like Lapsang or Chai) have an incredibly mellowing effect on me, and I tend to drink them when I feel like I need a coffee. I just can't get on with herbal or fruit teas - they just congeal at the bottom of my stomach and make me feel a bit sick.

Koupe":as7afhn1 said:
A few years ago, I had a full-on coffee/caffeine 'problem' - I'd make it like treacle, at least 1 large mug every hour (plus 2 cans of Red Bull in the afternoon). I decided to go 'cold turkey' and just have the one mug first thing, then drink water (with maybe one or two teas) for the rest of the day. Weirdly, although I was practically asleep for the first few days, after a week I was actually a LOT more alert, energised and invigorated than I was with my regular stim hits.

I find that now, 'proper' teas (like Lapsang or Chai) have an incredibly mellowing effect on me, and I tend to drink them when I feel like I need a coffee. I just can't get on with herbal or fruit teas - they just congeal at the bottom of my stomach and make me feel a bit sick.

had a guy round my house a while ago (salesman) and I asked if he wanted a coffee or tea. he explained he had a problem similar to yours and gave him self a heart attack, young guy too :shock:

lumos2000":2o2fxoed said:
Koupe":2o2fxoed said:

had a guy round my house a while ago (salesman) and I asked if he wanted a coffee or tea. he explained he had a problem similar to yours and gave him self a heart attack, young guy too :shock:

NOW YOU HAVE SCARED ME!!.

this is me, i live on the stuff, treacle thick cafetiere made coffee, gallons of it . i think i need to have a long hard think about things.

I love my coffee and find it really hard to give it up although I'm sure that's why I have difficulty in sleeping at night.

My hubby drinks Red Bush now or as we call it Ginger Pubes but I find it just tastes like cardboard.

Alison

I drink too much coffee in the day but like Yorkshire Tea so should get back involved with that.

Don't drink caffeine after about 7pm but like a Horlicks every now and then. Got to make it with 100% milk though.

brocklanders023":7rts13km said:
I drink too much coffee in the day but like Yorkshire Tea so should get back involved with that.

Don't drink caffeine after about 7pm but like a Horlicks every now and then. Got to make it with 100% milk though.

Is it still Horlicks if it is 100% milk?

I actually looked at Horlicks in the supermarket yesterday, haven't had any for many years.

Used to love the chewy bits.

Back