Unbelievable Sony tip-find

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Not been up here much and wasnt expecting to 'find' anything other than the usual knackered crap that has been the norm for a few years.

I look in the electrics bin (ironically a huge sign stating 'no electrical items sold here' despite the Weee regulations promoting re-use wherever possible) and spot a familiar case.

No... Surely not?? Yup, there it is and there is the Walkman too.

Sony WM-D6C, in MINTY condition - I checked the pinch rollers and I'd guess at no more than 10 hours use...

Attachments

• sony wm-d6c.jpg
    sony wm-d6c.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 941
:cool: i can remember selling these back in 1987....1989 they retailed for £249.99
Great find LGF

Ernie ;)

I remember fantasising about owning one of these, all I could afford was those cheapy crap things that kept eating the tape :(

Lovely find

Alison

Another nice find Mark. Still have any tapes? Did the previous owner leave any tapes in there??

John":204q6tex said:
Another nice find Mark. Still have any tapes?

Tapes aren't entirely dead in the water yet - apparently the new British Sea Power album is being released on cassette next month (from BSP's official Facebook page)!

In New Scientist some editions back, a "next generation" form of magnetic cassette tape was being mooted at the next big thing in computer storage; apparently it could offer big advantages in component size, power consumption and speed/ease of file accessibility over contemporary hard disks. Intriguing.

David

David B":3ps33vn5 said:
John":3ps33vn5 said:
Another nice find Mark. Still have any tapes?

Tapes aren't entirely dead in the water yet - apparently the new British Sea Power album is being released on cassette next month (from BSP's official Facebook page)!

In New Scientist some editions back, a "next generation" form of magnetic cassette tape was being mooted at the next big thing in computer storage; apparently it could offer big advantages in component size, power consumption and speed/ease of file accessibility over contemporary hard disks. Intriguing.

David

Tapes in various forms have been used for computer backups for decades and will continue to be for decades to come. When all else has failed there's something very reassuring about a physical tape backup.

Nice skip find by the way :LOL:

Funny you should mention cassettes - have been listening to all my old Kiss FM tapes from around 1993-4 and they have a fuller sound than the iPod. Plus the Sony's volume control is far beefier. The iPod stops half way up the Sony's sliding control.

Back